Lost village sites of Nottinghamshire

Just browsing this webpage at the moment and there's some quite interesting stuff in there.

'Sutton Passeys' was one, apparently around the site of Crown Island and the University of Nottingham Jubilee Campus area. Funnily, I feel as though I've hard the name before but nevertheless don't have a clue about it.

Also, Woolsthorpe, said to be maybe just to the south of Lowdham Grange Prison

Another curious one for me is the quaint-sounding 'Broadbusk' just south-west of Thurgarton.

Good stuff.

Lost village sites of Nottinghamshire

• Upvote 1

There's enough information there to keep everyone occupied for a long time.

I'd heard of a number of them before, but the interesting new one to me is Algarthorpe - possibly at the junction of Radford road and Eland Street in Basford

Just outside Notts, looking at old maps of Sawley/Long Eaton

The junction of Wilsthorpe Road and Derby Road, was the location of the village of Wilsthorpe.

Just off Tamworth Road, is Hey Street. Before Long Eaton spread this was a village called Hey Street'

No mention of Whiston? Hard to imagine that the Forest was once called Whistondale or The Lings or Whiston Wong.

From 'Nottinghamshire History'

We have evidence in them that about 700 years ago there was a hamlet on
the top of this hill or road, which was known by the names of Whiston,
Hwyston, Wistam, Wiston, etc. (see Records, vol. i., p. 441). Little
appears to be now known respecting it except the locality, but from what
can be gathered, I have thought that it has been effaced nearly 600
years; still, it supplied names to various places near, some of which
were, no doubt, in use when the hamlet had long disappeared. One being
Whistondale (p. 442) which was probably the valley of what is now termed
"The Forest," but in former times and until far in the 18th century
entitled "The Lings"; then there is a reference, A.D. 1413, to "land in
Nottingham fields, near the gallows of Whiston, called Whiston Wong."
Wystongate is another title (gate meaning a road or way), and is
probably the oldest name recorded for what is now known as Mansfield Road.

I'm not trying to be picky, but I think Church Wilne is still there - according to Streetmap anyway. Haley and Weller used to have a fireworks factory there. ISTR they had a big explosion - was it in the 1960s? It was remote place - a safe distance from urban civilisation I guess - and H&W Ltd had a couple of old buses, bought second hand from Bartons, to carry their workers.

I noticed Flawford (or Flawforth depending on your preference) which is the one near Ruddington. A quick Google around will tell you that the site was excavated by archaeologists in the 1970s-80s, but then the site was backfilled, and now all you see is a field. (Click on the link on the website and it will take you to a Google Map view of the field).

For some obscure reason, I photographed the site when it was still being excavated in the 1970s, and this is a view of the remains of Flawforth church, which you won't see anywhere else because I took it while the excavation was still open.

flaw.jpg

• Upvote 3

Yeah there's very little left of the actual village of Church Wilne.

I heard about the explosion etc.

My brother lives just down the road in Breaston and knows a lot more about it.

It's pretty much a place name now rather than a village.

From Wiki:

Church Wilne is registeredas an abandoned village, apart from the church however it is the location of St Chad's water. This water was purchased by Draycott district council where it is a nature reserve and a haven for water sports.

I used to live on Sutton Passeys Crescent.

The local legend was that the village of Sutton Passeys was wiped out in the Black Death, and that Hawton Spinney is the site of the resulting plague pit.

Just heresay, but folklore sometimes has a grain of truth.

Re Flawford, there's a plaque there to comemorate the dig. Here's the church outline still visible from the air.

8423207475_9536deee36_b.jpg

• Upvote 1

The local legend was that the village of Sutton Passeys was wiped out in the Black Death, and that Hawton Spinney is the site of the resulting plague pit.

More likely that the Bugges or Willoughbys as they preferred to be called,kicked 'em out so they wouldn't spoil the view from their new estate.