I could do with help from those that have directories of Nottingham .

I was told my late Dad was born and lived his early life on Carlton Hill . I'm never sure which house but it was quite a way up the hill from Carlton , up on the right .

Using info on some of the birth/death certificates I have , they were living:

in 1913 at 102 Main Street Carlton. (His birth) .

In 1918 they were living at 342 Carlton Hill .( a sisters death)

Looking today on streetview , number 342 is right on top of the hill . In fact Nott'm Building Society is given as number 344 and I never heard any mention of them living up there on the flat .

So was there a renumbering at some time

Incidently on both those certificates my Grandfather , who died way before I was born , was shown as being a Cinematograph Operator . Would have loved to have known where he worked .

In 1918 they were living at 342 Carlton Hill .( a sisters death)

Looking today on streetview , number 342 is right on top of the hill . In fact Nott'm Building Society is given as number 344 and I never heard any mention of them living up there on the flat .

So was there a renumbering at some time

Not sure that it would have been a renumbering. If they were living at 342 in 1918, that implies something in the region of 170 properties between them and Carlton Square where the numbering started. So 342 must have been quite a way up the hill to allow for the lower numbers, even getting up to the top flat bit.

Maybe its the Main Street , Carlton bit that is causing confusion .

I 've looked but couldn't see Main Street , Carlton on the current google map . That used to go up the hill beyond where Tesco and the Windsor Castle pub is . Now Burton Rd seems to finish at the Square and the road becomes Carlton Hill after .

Looking at a few old maps, I think street naming is your answer. The stretches of road which are Carlton Road, Carlton Hill, Main Street, Main Road, etc have changed over the years, and a road which was called something in 1900 is now called something else.

The 1911 Census is online. If you have a look at that you'll be able to pinpoint the houses.

http://www.1911census.co.uk/

Mmmm unfortunately now out of credits , got as far as the 90s house numbers on Main Street and then got to Worths Yard . is that on any maps , off Main Street .

I know my relos weren't at that address in 1911.

Interesting to look on old maps for around 1900, at the area around what is now Tesco. Today it is known as Carlton Hill/Burton Road (according to Mr Google) but in 1900 it was called Main Street East and Main Street West, with the changeover point being roughly around the site of the Windsor Castle pub.

Interesting to look on old maps for around 1900, at the area around what is now Tesco. Today it is known as Carlton Hill/Burton Road (according to Mr Google) but in 1900 it was called Main Street East and Main Street West, with the changeover point being roughly around the site of the Windsor Castle pub.

Thanks for looking .

Going up the hill then , past the Windsor Castle, any idea where Main Street ends ? Maybe at the junction with another road ?

Thanks for looking . Going up the hill then , past the Windsor Castle, any idea where Main Street ends ? Maybe at the junction with another road ?

Suggest Post Office Square..

My Grandparents had a grocers shop which I think was numbered 618 Main Street Carlton

But at some time the road east of P.O. Square became Burton Road(early 1950s ? )

Carlton Road runs from Bath street(Sneinton)to somewhere near to Standhill Road whence it becomes Carlton Hill.

City boundary is half way up the hill between Porchester Road and Standhill Road.

• Upvote 1

Looked at the old maps again and here's a summary of what happened.

As Bubblewrap says, the road east of the Square was called Burton Road by the 1950s.

Before then, in the 1920s it's called Main Street East and goes at least as far as Manor Rd. It is just Main Street around the Square; then beyond the Square it becomes Main Street West until somewhere on the flat, top bit where it becomes Carlton Hill.

Thanks again for that . So in theory 102 Main Street ( West ) would be 51 houses up on the right of the hill .Of course with all the torn down property around Tesco this would now be impossible to calculate .

On my grandmothers death cert of 1918 ( I still have difficulty getting my head round the fact my grandmother died that long ago) it says Main St and doesn't mention the West bit but I remember my dad long ago saying it was up somewhere near Fearns the house that used to have lots of doors and timber stacked up outside.

The renaming and renumbering probably has something to do with the changes to local governmment boundaries in the 1920s when the detached part of Basford Rural District was divided between the city and Carlton UDC.

Still does

carltonhill_zpsc5741da5.jpg

This was owned by my Uncle Doug(Fearn) still in the family but I can't remember who is running the business now.

Uncle Doug passed away 29th December last year aged 86

Road up the side is Celia Drive my Grandfather (father's side) lived at No1

Uncle Doug started "business" by selling firewood(in bundles @ 6d) & timber & lived on Carlton hill till about the mid 60s

He then built a bungalow on Cavendish Avenue.

I don't know when the shop on Westdale Lane opened but it was before I left junior school in 1960.

For the last 20 years or so his life of uncle Doug lived in Rolleston

I seem to remember it opening on Westdale Lane so probably was late 50s .

Through looking at my old diaries I've found the name of the newsagent I worked for that was to the left of Fearnes at the junction of Westdale Lane and Fernleigh Ave. It was Watsons .

I had a cushy job because instead of delivering papers , I had a regular round collecting the paper money from those customers , that for whatever reason didnt go in the shop to pay . I got commission on what I collected and usually got about £1 a week .

I guess thats what paid for my concert going as a14 year old.

I seem to remember it opening on Westdale Lane so probably was late 50s .

Through looking at my old diaries I've found the name of the newsagent I worked for that was to the left of Fearnes at the junction of Westdale Lane and Fernleigh Ave. It was Watsons .

I had a cushy job because instead of delivering papers , I had a regular round collecting the paper money from those customers , that for whatever reason didnt go in the shop to pay . I got commission on what I collected and usually got about £1 a week .

I guess thats what paid for my concert going as a14 year old.

A pound a week that was a small fortune you could get more than ten pints of bitter for that or more than 100 fags.

I didn't smoke or drink at that time

I started drinking & smoking in 1966 a pint of bitter was 1/10d 20 park drive 3/6d

Can you see Worths Yard on the old map ? That may give a rough idea of the location , as after checking what I could on the Census it could be 5 or 6 houses after that .

There is a Worth Street that runs between Foxhill Road(east) & Cemetery Road

I have a Map(in a book) dated 1914 & there is no Worth's Yard shown.

There are though some buildings that front onto Foxhill Road that run at the back of Worth Street

I think Carlton Road becomes Carlton Hill at the city boundary.

Carlton Hill is numbered from Post Office Square Fearns being number 170.

Number 342 Carlton Hill is between Cornhill Road & Mayfield Road.

The last house on Carlton Hill is Number 426.(sill in Carlton)the next house is 691 Carlton Road inside the city boundary.

Maps SK5941SW&SE & SK6041SW&SE Scale 50.688 inches to the mile.

Incidently on both those certificates my Grandfather , who died way before I was born , was shown as being a Cinematograph Operator . Would have loved to have known where he worked .

Could have been the pictures on Station Road

The cinemas of Carlton have been discussed in an earlier thread.

Thanks for that Bubblewrap . 342 Carlton Hill is now Bonds the butchers on the flat .

Strange , as I don't ever recall any mention from parents or aunts and uncles about living up there .

Getting back to 102 Main Street (west) , that was on the hill I think it would be impossible to work out where it was , as below Fearns there is a row of 60s detached houses .Whether these replaced old terraced houses I'm not sure .

As for the cinema , could have been Station Road but there again on previous documents he had been a barman and living in the city so it could have been anywhere . I guess they didnt mind a bit of a commute ?

Getting back to 102 Main Street (west) , that was on the hill I think it would be impossible to work out where it was , as below Fearns there is a row of 60s detached houses .Whether these replaced old terraced houses I'm not sure .

I think probably not. Celia Drive doesn't get named in the 1920s, but you can see where it is, and the next housing is some way further down.

celia.jpg