My most hated weed list [not in any particular order]:

Couch grass (Twitch)

Goosegrass (Sticky balls)

Creeping buttercup

Ground elder

What about Japanese Knotweed Compo? We had some of that sprout up right by the wall of our old house when we lived in Hertfordshire. Absolute nightmare, we tried everything to get rid of it. It grew like triffids. Had to move house up to Nottingham in the end!!!!!

Would defiantly be poison ivy and blackberry! I only have to look at PI and I come out in watery itchy blisters, grows up most of the trees around here, and blackberry just grows where birds have a crap, takes over land very rapidly, I should also mention wild roses too, "floribunda" takes a lot to kill it, thorns from it will penetrate the tractors tyres and work their way through causing flats.

I love blackberries too Mick, but these are growing wild, very hard to keep on top of them... Last year we had drought conditions, so would have been very unwise to take any outdoor power machinery outside, due to dangerous fire conditions. So I never got down to two of my fields to keep them mowed. Blackberries have taken over, so once the ground dries out a little I'll have to go down and reverse mow them down, so as I'm not driving over the old vines with steel hard thorns. By reversing over them, the "Brush hog" heavy duty rough cut mower, will shred everything... I still have to check my tyres for thorns though, and pull them out with tweezers before they cause a flat..

I have several acres of blackberries I have to hit!!!

Once they have been mowed down, two follow up mowing's usually "tires" the root system out and they die back..

What about Japanese Knotweed Compo? We had some of that sprout up right by the wall of our old house when we lived in Hertfordshire. Absolute nightmare, we tried everything to get rid of it. It grew like triffids. Had to move house up to Nottingham in the end!!!!!

I have Japanese knotweed here. It doesn't like our climate this far north and doesn't invade like it does down your way. I pull a few stems once ini a while and it stays well under control. Fits in nicely with a rough hedge style border in a corner where not muchhwill grow.

I may be wrong....but I believe Japanes Knotweed is a notifiable weed and should be reported to the authorities for urgent action to destroy it before it spreads.

I think you are right Pooh

I rang our council about some Japanese Knotweed a couple of years ago it was growing on the canal bank.

It was dealt with very promptly.

http://www.japaneseknotweedscotland.com/scottish-law

Quote:

Currently it is not an offence to have Japanese Knotweed growing on your land however under the Nature Conservation (Scotland) Act 2004, Scottish National Heritage (SNH) can issue a management order with the aim to ensure appropriate action is taken to eliminate a threat to the interest on a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI).

Unquote.

I know of one small (12ft x 4ft) patch of Japanese Knotweed here in Shetland. It is on a south facing bank of a loch and hasn't spread much at all in 21 years. It probably doesn't like the shortage of daylight in winter.

• Upvote 1