(Dont Mention Bus Pass!)

I just found I am eligible for one. Must be gerrin old.

I daren't admit to having one when I get it!

However it will save me some money.

I understand they can be used in other parts of the country as well, as other travel concessions?

Bus Pass Concessionary travel , How do you use yours?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here in Sydney we don't get free concessional travel but we do get it very cheap once you get to the old fart stage in life. We can purchase a daily ticket for $2.50 which entitles us to all day trav

As the cost is only incurred when the pass is used, I would suggest that there would be a much greater cost if the pass given to young folk, especially in the evening when they are trying to find work

Tut, tut, you'll get locked up one of these days, mick2me......

In simple terms - whenever and wherever feasible. Parking here (in Dawlish) is chronic - narrow streets, 1 hour limit for most on-street parking. We have an excellent hourly "Shopper" bus that stops on demand more or less anywhere it is not positively dangerous to do so - including in the middle of the road on narrow one-way streets. I can flag it down outside our house to go to town, or on the opposite side of the road to go to the supermarket.

The main line bus company (Stagecoach) is every 20 minutes to Exeter in one direction, Newton Abbot in the other - but very slow. The through journey (covered in 20 minutes on a non-stop train) takes an hour and three quarters - so I usually give that a miss (as I also have a pass for the train in respect of employment in the railway industry from which I retired 10 years ago).

The **************** (concessionary travel) can be used on any regular bus service in England (but not Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland) any time after 9.30 or all day Saturday and Sunday. I have used my Devon pass on NCT, Trent-Barton, West Midlands, First Devon & Cornwall... BUT they cannot be used on trams except when issued by the authority in which the tram operator runs.

They used to be able to be used on trains, 1/3 off I think?

But they stopped that?

As far as I know the only way to get a third off rail travel is to purchase a senior persons rail card for £28 .

We use our bus pass to get into such congested places as St.Ives , where its a nightmare to park as well as expensive . As we are a bit of a trek from our bus station we sometimes drive to a village on route , park for free on the street and hop on a number 14.

We've also used ours in Notts and Lincs . One day when we visit our son in Herts , want to use the pass to go into London as the bus goes right through the central areas . Just need to find a place to park at Herts end.

When we had our shop , a lot of the old dears from adjacent towns would just go to the nearest bus stop to their home and get on whichever bus came first , they didnt care where they ended up !

Mrs W wents shopping to Truro yesterday with her friend and they parked in the Park and Ride . Wife paid £1 with bus pass but younger friend had to pay £1.80.

Can you use The unmentionable pass on Park & Ride?

Here in Cornwall it used to be free on Park and Ride with a bus pass but now they charge £1 , not sure about other counties though.

Your own issuing authority (Derbyshire?) will probably have a web-page giving details of how you can and cannot use your "*******" Down here the Exeter Park and Ride routes are all allowed - and in fact make normal stops along the way like ordinary bus services.

I have had a bus pass & senior citizens rail card for four years & both are in regular use.

Both can be used as ID for other concessions.

Although the rail card costs £28 two trips to see my mother(lives near Tywyn) & it pays for it's self.

I use my bus pass at least once a week.(Mainly to visit Nottingham)

I believe I can't use my bus pass(Leicestershire C.C.) on the trams.

Mrs Commo and I have had "Senior" 'bus pass for 6 years and although we use this fairly infrequently locally,( who wants to get on a 'bus to Huddersfield?), we use them regularly when on holiday in England, not accepted in other parts of the UK.

When on holiday in Devon, one of the criteria as to where to stay is the availability of a bus service, few and far between in many parts of the West Country. To be able to let someone else do the driving especially on the road from Kingsbridge to Dartmouth is marvellous, as I get older I am more and more aware of the narrowness of the main road and the sometimes questionable ability of some other road users to negotiate the many "pinch points".

In the West Yorks Metro area, the pass used to entitle you to bargain rail fares within the Metro area, £1 return huddersfield to Leeds! This has now been withdrawn, but within the area a 50% concession on the fare is given

I understand that the tram in Sheffield, not in the West Yorks Metro area, also accept the pass, but yet to try it ourselves!

:biggrin: Believe it or not, it's great becoming the holder of a Bus Pass. The day I received mine - a few years back (not ashamed to say) - I sat on the tram and shouted: "Yippee!". Gone were the days of struggling to find the change for a bus journey.

I've visited some great places on mine: Leicester, Derby, Derbyshire, Mablethorpe, Oakham, Southwell.......................

I use mine almost every day, gets me out of the house: even if it's merely shopping trips or exploring the environs of Nottm / Notts. :biggrin:

Yes, so right Jackson! No more having to find a shop to buy a packet of Polo's with a tenner in order to get on the bus, it's great. The other thing that you'll find Mick is that when you get on the first bus after 9.30 am it'll be full of old folk!!

We aren't old Jackson, it's all the others! Good thing about that is you can have a natter and you are not infuriated by the tinny noise of MP3 or i-pods all around, or your ears being assailed by the "modern language" of tomorrows people

Can anyone tell me what the tune is they always play on those things? It goes like...

Tch tch tch... tch tch tch tch... tch... tch tch tch... tch tch tch... tch tch

On the matter of public transport in Nottingham, we are hoping to have a few days in the Vale at the end of the month and wonder if anyone has knowledge of the Park and Ride from Stragglethorpe, and is it accessible out of peak period?

There does not seem to be any public transport from Redmile, and Stragglethorpe looks to be the nearest point with parking for getting into town, unless anyone has any better suggestions?

unionflag @ #11: @ 'The other thing that you'll find Mick is that when you get on the first bus after 9.30 am it'll be full of old folk!!' - meaning yourself and your lady wife Commo? :dry:

OLD? Me I'm only 64....................I'm still quite young.........................My wife says I'm 64 going on 13. :)

well im only 16 and i have had a bus pass since 2010 not that i use it much but its handy when i do need it plus i always keep it on my so that if i have a row with piggy when we out and about i can always get home cause i never have money unlessi go out on my own or to a meet up.

Here in Sydney we don't get free concessional travel but we do get it very cheap once you get to the old fart stage in life.

We can purchase a daily ticket for $2.50 which entitles us to all day travel on buses,trains,ferries and the dreaded trams.

Mind you,in the morning if it's school time you might have to fight for a seat with the little darlings.I nearly said little bastards but I'm sure some of them might not be. girlvboy

Baz :ninja:

• Upvote 1

In West Australia where I now call home, when I'm not travelling, we get a seniors card at 60 if we no longer work more than 25 hours a week.

Entitles us to free travel both rail and buses after 9.30am and before 3.30pm and all weekend or bank holidays. Also get a $100 (around 65 pounds) supplement towards any glasses we may require every 2 years. Assisted dental and a few other perks I forget now.

Many retail outlets also give 10% discount to card holders, McDonalds give us a free coffee or drink with any meal.

• 1 month later...

BBC breakfast this morning they are discussion taking away old persons bus passes and giving free travel to young people who are struggling to afford bus fares in travelling to search for work!

BBC breakfast this morning they are discussion taking away old persons bus passes and giving free travel to young people who are struggling to afford bus fares in travelling to search for work!

If you are looking for work The "Joke Shop"(Job Centre) should repay you your travel expenses to any interviews.

Round here in a rural place , that will mean a lot of empty buses then and drivers put on the dole as a consequence . You only see old folk on the buses in the daytime and I doubt there are that many jobs available for the young folk to go after .

As the cost is only incurred when the pass is used, I would suggest that there would be a much greater cost if the pass given to young folk, especially in the evening when they are trying to find work in the pubs and clubs in Town !!

Why do the media delight in putting up these Aunt Sallys to create rift and division between various sections of society? Surely the Government do enough of this !?

• Upvote 1