Ben, don't forget, he not only cleaned the lights, replaced the mantle, but also wound the seven day clock up that operated the gas valve to light the lamp up. I think it was the mid 50's when the part of St Anns where I lived made the change over to electric street lamps, about the same time they changed us from DC to AC power.

Back in the 50s early 60s only the main roads in New Basford had electric lighting all the rest were still lit by gas.

A few interesting dates to do with Nottingham street lighting.

We were late on the scene with street lighting with even Norwich beating us by nearly 100 years. It was 1760s before the first whale oil fired street lamps went up in Nottingham.

The first 10 gas lamps went up in 1819. its was some time later that folk excepted that they were not going to be blown up and further lamps went up. The Nottingham Corporation eventually took over the gas works and responsibility for the whole of the street lighting setup.

The first electric lights were erected in the Market Square in 1894.

The first official Christmas street displays happened in 1961 would you believe.

One more snippet due to its narrow width Drury Hill only had one lamp standard.

DavidW, Thankyou for the PTP link on #10.

In the 1950s; the house with the ivy on the walls in the picture on the corner of Westdale Lane was derelict, in fact I don't remember much of it still standing. As children we used to play daily in the grounds and remains of the building. SueB48, me and our little band of village kids. I imagine there was no health and safety in those days. We always knew it as "The Doll Factory"

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;DCHQ503337&prevUrl=

Banjo48, #23. Nice to see that you remember the gas lights being turned on/off on Westdale Lane in the 1950s, we are about the same age so It confirms my memories as being right.

• Upvote 1

I remember the old lamps on Woodthorpe Drive being replaced with ones with an orange glare. I used to be fascinated that the colour of my coat, scarf and gloves was different under these lights. This was about 1954 I think