Many may be aware of how i didnt have much of a garden in my last house, i was allways asking for suggestions into ways of improving it. Then i moved house and the garden was pretty much a blank canvas. It had an out-house that needed a good coat of paint (it was just dull breeze-block grey!) and the door was standered brown. The flower beds were the same, Where there is grass now before was just mud and rubble (Grass - poundland grass seed, bargain) & in the flower beds was nothing. i also painted all the fencing too. believe it or not, i did all the painting in a day and a half!

So i got a quick video for you guys just to show you the progress, im quite proud of my hard work, My flower beds seem abit messy but its my first attempt so maybe ill do better next year. Im happy to finally have somewhere for my daughter to play and were we can all enjoy the nice weather!

-

• Upvote 2

You've done really well on a tight budget there Pixie, well done for sniffing out the bargains, the flower bed looks very attractive and colourful and the 'Poundland' lawn has grown so well. Just be careful your little lady doesn't mistake sweet pea pods for the edible kind!

I almost mistook them for the edible kind, thank goodness i asked on the forum first! Luckily, she cant reach the sweet pea's....Yet! :) & thank you, all the paint was reduced and in sale, i think all together it cost me around £19 for the lot, and most of my plants are from seeds/bulbs bought from the poundshop and flower nurseries. It smells lovely in the evenings and first thing of a morning.

Save your sunflower seed from those sunflowers!!! They are edible and you can plant some next year.

When do i take the seeds out of the sunflowers? & how do i store them till next year?

When the flowers die back, the head will be a mass of seed, you'll have to be fast!! The birds will take all of them before you can bat an eyelid!!

When I had a sunflower, I waited until all the petals had withered and just cut the head off the stem, sat it on some paper kitchen towel indoors and let the seed dry out....They will fall off the flower head when dry.

Store them the same way I advised.

Theyv been open for a couple of days now so will have to tell the person who's house sitting to make sure they cut the heads off while I'm away!

Haha mudgie! I do love painting... Be it outdoors, indoors and even furniture! But I payed the price the day I painted outside, came indoors looking like a cooked lobster!!

And as for borders... Buy plants you like and whack em in, personally, I think my borders look quite messy, hopefully I'll do better with em next year

Firstly I would like to say that your sweet peas knock spots off mine! I can never get them to look like that. Secondly, my sunflowers all failed this year. (2-0 to you).

I also have a suggestion for you: Get a cheap large plantpot or a square wooden one and put it over the manhole cover. It doesn't matter what you grow in it but you could have some lettuce, radishes and spring onions. Tomb Thumb lettuce grow very quickly and seeds for that variety are really cheap. Radish can be eaten just a few weeks after sowing and spring onions are always nicer when fresh. You could get several croppings per year and have the advantage of not seeing or tripping over the manhole.

Keep up the good work, I think you've completely transformed your place for the better. 10/10!