Anyone been to Italy lateley

Has anyone been to Italy lately ? I would like to know how much pocket money someone would need to go for a week to do a little sight seeing nothing extravagant + meals.

It's a really difficult question to answer, dgbrit (#1) because different people will live a different way. For instance, you could go for a meal in Nottingham and pay £25. You could also go for a meal in Nottingham and pay £100. It's the same in Italy. What I would suggest is that you look under your floorboards, get a big bundle of dollars and go and have a great time in Italy...LOL.

:) Hi DGBrit, I was in Italy for a well deserved holiday a few weeks back. It is an expensive country but well worth it.

So I advise you to take plenty of Euros, or as many as you can afford - don't skimp yourself; then you can have a really great holiday without worrying whether your money's going to last out or not. Bon Voyage - incidentally where in Italy are you planning on going?

:biggrin:

In Italy they accept Visa cards in lots of places, I was in Italy 3 years ago and I used mine all the time, but my bank account is in euros so I was not charged for using my card in Italy.

My advice would be have a word with your bank, and ask them how much they charge for using your card in Italy, no 2 banks are the same but mine when I am in England charges 1 euro for every £100 I spend, or if I use a cash machine, 1 euro no matter how much I take out, so I take out about £300 and use that as spending money.

When I was in Italy I got through around 1600 euros in 6 days that was for sight seeing, buses, train + meals, but that was in Aosta Valley N/W Italy a none tourist area.

• Upvote 1

From my experience, do not eat/drink near popular tourist attractions, a coffee near the Trevi fountain will cost about €15, move away and it will cost €5.

Also, always pick up a receipt for purchases and keep for 45 minutes, not to do so is seen as aiding the shopkeeper to avoid VAT.

Never understood the hype for Italy. Britain has the finest cathedrals in Europe,-o.k St Peters is large but have a look at the true magnificence of numerous others in UK.

If you want to see Roman remains travel around the Med. multiple remains at a fraction of the cost. Art? Go to Paris,St. Petersburg or even London. I find Italy grossly overpriced (try buying a coffee in St. Mark`s Square in Venice) What can compare to lunch in a country English Inn?

I am sure many other members will be able to quote similar examples.

• Upvote 2