Nottinghams Last surviving Trent Toll Bridge

News this week that the toll is rising at Dunham Bridge to 40p......

I didn't realise that Dunham was the last surviving Trent toll bridge. When you get so used to something you tend to take it for granted I suppose.

Dunham bridge was built in the 1830's replacing the ferry crossing. Wonder what it cost then to cross.

When I moved to North Clifton in 1993 the bridge fee was 25p, rising to 30p in 2007 and then the EU slapped VAT on toll charges raising it to 36p in 2012. Considering the rising costs I'd say it's not a bad price to pay. The alternative being a 30 mile round trip either via Gainsborough or Newark to get across.

• Upvote 1

I sometimes use that bridge, last time if I remember correctly, cost 50p for a wagon.

This twenty mile short cut saves my employer a bit of cash. Wagon does six mpg, = 3 + a bit gallons, well worth the cost.

Isn't the Wilford toll bridge still open? I know it doesn't take vehicles any more, but do they charge for pedestrians, horses and donkeys to cross?

Wilford Toll Bridge hasn't charged for many years. These days there aren't so many people taking sheep to Nottingham. It was closed to traffic and rebuilt in the mid-70s, but is currently being enlarged and modified to take the tram extension.

A few photos of it amongst this lot http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10671

Half-Penny Bridge it was called.

1/2d for pedestrians, I may have paid it when I first went to Trent Bridge School in 1963, or I might have dreamt it?

When did the stop charging?

Half-Penny Bridge it was called.

1/2d for pedestrians, I may have paid it when I first went to Trent Bridge School in 1963, or I might have dreamt it?

When did the stop charging?

Yes, it was always called ha'penny bridge, but I have a feeling the price had gone up to 1d for pedestrians by the mid-50s (the depredations of inflation!) ISTR my dad taking me over there as a little kid. I think you even got a ticket for your penny.

Half-Penny Bridge it was called. 1/2d for pedestrians,

Times was hard back then. Used to take me weeks to save up enough to cross over. The only other option was to swim, but that wasn't easy with a barra load of coal. :laugh:

• Upvote 1

Remember Wilford Toll Bridge before the tram modifications saw it last Sunday on a walk surprised there was still a business in the toll house remember it was a newsagents I think in my childhood now a sandwich shop.

Not many people could imagine there are used to be a railway bridge beside it on old Great Central Railway route that now starts as the preserved Greast Central at Ruddington. Then further up Lady Bay Bridge was a railway bridge on old direct route from Nottingham to London via Melton Mowbray on the Midland Railway that now serves as the Old Dalby test track starting at Edwalton.