I don't want to start a war. but that's just what happened on Radio Sheffield some years ago as silly as it seems, it went on fer ages. just because someone rang in and said, scallop or fishcake. it varies from area to area around the uk. ooh Barnsley against Sheffield was a goo scrap. they had to ban the topic before someone got attacked.

I know you Notters are good civilized bunch, so I'll ask you the same question, hope this topic hasn't been done before. Good look everyone. Best wishes De Da Pete.

To save time and space. Butter versus Margarine. no fighting again vicar and Bishop please.

Barn cake or Bridge Roll ooh that one gets people scrapping.

I remember having Scallops from the chippy when I lived in Blackpool as a kid.

I always thought after that they were some kind of shelfish in batter?

True Mick they are a shellfish, a fishcake is made from minced fish and mashed potato... Chippies used to have something they called scallops, they were sliced potatoes dipped in batter and deep fried... So if you asked for scallops and fishcakes you got sliced battered tators deep fried with true fish cakes.

Tasmainian scallops are quite a delicacy here. They are a variety of clam, or look similar to same, and very nice too. A speciality of the sea front in Hobart are scallop pies, which are scallops with a small quantity of potatoes encased in a pie crust - scrumptious. The kind of food you would kill for.

tasmanianscallops.jpg

• Upvote 1

I used to scuba dive under a jetty on Anglesea and get heaps of King Scallops ! absolutely beatiful with mashed spuds and a garlic cream sauce.

They were super big so you only needed 3-4 for a wonderful meal for two, mind we used to put a few in the catch bag then as we found bigger one's further along we would discard the earlier caught one's.

Also used to get some massive crabs out there.

Gosh AlisonC those scallop pies sound good, might be worth a trip to Tassy to give em a whirl.

Turning out to be a really fascinating topic totally unexpected. uhhm those Sheppies sound wonderful. Diving for scallops, eating them. simply wonderful thread thank you. all the best De Da Pete.

I remember having Scallops from the chippy when I lived in Blackpool as a kid.

I always thought after that they were some kind of shelfish in batter?

OOh I can almost smell them, they always smell better at the seaside for some reason, the fish probbably being so close and fresh just jump in the pan ha ha. De Da Pete. thanx.

I often have fish and chips in Worksop. But remember when they were cooked in beef fat? and wrapped in newspaper?. you could eat yer chips. and have something to read on the loo afterwards, or use it to start a coal fire in a morning. wonderful. uhhmm, stating to get hungry now. Is there anyone in Notty that still cooks in beef fat?, or was it outlawed with MCD.?. De Da Pete.

Tasmainian scallops are quite a delicacy here. They are a variety of clam, or look similar to same, and very nice too. A speciality of the sea front in Hobart are scallop pies, which are scallops with a small quantity of potatoes encased in a pie crust - scrumptious. The kind of food you would kill for.

tasmanianscallops.jpg

Looks a bit like a cows intestines, but I bet they are yummy. the sad thing is vor me is, I can't taste it or eat the photo as much as I want. De Da Pete.

Remember savalodes, and Cod roe?. uhhm what I'd give for a pickled egg right now. Any one had a battered mars bar?. De Da Pete.

I cant spel fer mi life mate, yor right. I love Roe too, not all chippies do them now only to order. Thanx De Da.

Anyone had Panga yet? you may have without knowing,' some' fishshops pass it off as cod but its a catfish from Asia. It's much cheaper than Cod and looks like it. they should bring a law out to ban it, it's supposed to be harmful. and people are being decived. De Da.

Whether its a chip shop, a restaurant or pub, or even a supermarket, If it says cod on the menu, it must be cod. If you think they're serving panga, then tell Trading Standards.

If it just says "fish", then you take your chances that it may be panga or pollock.

A friend of ours had a very bad allergic reaction when they ate panga, which is why I wouldn't touch it.

I had a great meal at a fish restaurant on the quay at Hobart back in 1991 - can't remember the name.

On the same trip I remember having superb scallops in pastis at Doyles On The Beach in Watsons Bay NSW.

sr

sussexred, you would have to be talking about Mures Upper Deck Restaurant down at Constitution Dock. Been there many times and the food never fails to impress. The surrounds and the wine list are excellent. Whenever we are in Hobart, it is a must for at least one lunch!

On the ground floor or Lower Deck, it is basically a fish and chip shop but upstairs - Aaaah!

Have enjoyed eating at Doyles in the past but it seems to have lost a lot of it's attractiveness lately.

mures.jpg

Whether its a chip shop, a restaurant or pub, or even a supermarket, If it says cod on the menu, it must be cod. If you think they're serving panga, then tell Trading Standards.

If it just says "fish", then you take your chances that it may be panga or pollock.

A friend of ours had a very bad allergic reaction when they ate panga, which is why I wouldn't touch it.

Sorry to hear about your friend, but there's no wonder, these pangas apparently live in sewer like streams. The trouble is, many fishshops out there must be selling panga and passing it off as cod. It's so cheap for the the Fishshop owners,hence make more profi. I have been in a few fishshops who swear it's cod but they'd have to be giving it away at that price.

I know of one fishshop in Sheffield, you get chips small fish peas or beans and free sausage for £2.20. you get loads and the fish is bigger than a full size one at my local. they swear it's cod. On y one in Worksop, gave us the option of trying it, I did, it looked like cod, but less taste and the texture was a bit slimy.

The selling of codling a few years ago, what a con!. I was told time and time again, it was young cod. But I presome it was the fish 'Ling'.

I think fish like Ling, collie, and Pollock, all taste great and would make.a great alternative, but as I've been told, it wouldn't sell. in a chippie. Stay clear of panga, be careful. Thank you. De Da.

:biggrin: D'ya know, I've never tried scallops but they really do look delicious in Alison's pic @ #5.

PS: promise you this, after taking a browse on 'Nottstalgia' I'm going to 'Google' them up. Rather fancy making a scallop pie.

PPS: and De Da Pete, thanks for the reminder on cod's roe; delicious when simply warmed and served with chips and garden peas - accompanied with salt and vinegar of course, or even Tartar sauce.

I have to admit that until I was a teenager, a scallop was a potato fritter in batter. When I came across folk saying how delicious they found scallops, until I knew better, I just thought that they were easily pleased!

• Upvote 1

Last night me and the wife had scallops for the first time ever, it was a friends birthday nosh at the Scalloway Hotel. They were deep fried and served with spinach and fennel and some kind of white sauce, I forget what sort.

They were delicious, I wish I had found out about scallops sooner.