Nottingham has been named as the cheapest city in the UK for a break, says a new survey from Tripadvisor.

Based on prices for August 2013, an overnight break for two in including a four-star hotel stay, pre-dinner Martinis, an evening meal out and taxi rides, Nottingham came in at just £163.73.

The second cheapest city is Cardiff (£167.51) followed by Sheffield (£175.81) and Leeds (£179.59).

And the most expensive? No, it's not London. At £298.46, you'll pay more in Edinburgh than any of the other 19 cities studied.

After Edinburgh, the most expensive cities are Cambridge (£275.32), London (£264.41) and Brighton (£261.41). However London does provide the least expensive evening meal for two - averaging £54.47.

Prices have risen in a number of cities in the last 12 months, the poll reveals. Last year's best-value city was Birmingham, where the total stay package was £139.54. This year, a Brummy break is estimated to cost £183.82.

Here's the list in full:

Least expensive cities:

1. Nottingham £164.73
  2. Cardiff £167.51
  3. Sheffield £175.81
  4. Leeds £179.59
  5. Bristol £180.32
  6. Birmingham £183.82
  7. Liverpool £186.97
  8. Newcastle Upon Tyne £191.84
  9. Glasgow £194.74
  10. York £218.80

Most expensive cities:

1. Edinburgh £298.46
  2. Cambridge £275.32
  3. London £264.41
  4. Brighton £261.41
  5. Bath £251.28
  6. Oxford £251.20
  7. Aberdeen £222.72
  8. Chester £222.35
  9. Belfast £221.70
  10. Manchester £220.55

Having just spent a week in Nottingham ,I can confirm this.

There are however surprising exceptions.

Try using the Nottingham buses without the exact change and lose your money in their bus scam.

Try using the computers in the library £4 anhour (other cities I visited, FREE)

Parking .

Whilst I am on about Nottingham, the weather was truly wonderful for my stay ,just like Adelaide springtime. I sat in the sand in the Old Market Square, watched the kids in the pool, and swings,and listened to the free music.

As to the above costs let me tell you of mine.

Travelodge, Wollaton vale £23 /night. Excellent value.

A fabulous pub I was taken to through Beeston somewhere (I will ask my mate the name) Two 3 course meals for Golden Oldies. Fabulous meals ---wait for it ---£10 for 2 ---yes 2 people.

Expensive tickets I thought to see Ghosts at the Theatre.

£ 3.19 for a full English breakfast at Greasyspoons in the square

£2.50 for a pint of the most delicious beer at the Marina in Beeston,with a gang of geriatric mates .(again I must find the name of the beer-on special) Lovely welcoming people at the cafe and pub at the marina.

So my week in Nottingham was well below the costs quoted.

Buses a rip off. Computers also. Weather ----PRICELESS almost as good as `home'.

• Upvote 2

Edinburgh being the most expensive doesn't surprise me.

It has a castle and it's full of American and Japanese tourists. They're mad about castles!

Cardiff surprises me about being cheap. I havn't found it so, it gets incredibly busy on Saturday nights and that's when hotels charge top rates.

Swansea is expensive too. There's a shortage of good hotels in the centre and nothing less than £80 on a Saturday night.

we just spent the weekend beginning of august 3 nights in skegness this year because of problems we encounted at two b and bs we had booked closing downwe used county hotel 45 pounds per night each compeared to 20 pounds each last year well all i will say was not a good experience will not be going back again back to our old bb 25pounds per night under new management opened again just 4 weeks before we wenti went in during evening meallooked good . booked in for next year.