Old Nottingham night club names

Welcome on board, it doesn't cost anything to be polite though, a simple hello , I'm Gypsumminer from .... would be suffice, plus a little please and thankyou wouldn't go amiss too.

Arabellas was a later incarnation of Scamps

• Upvote 1

Perhaps then it's down to Admins/mods to advise new members of what common courtesy when using a forum is all about then !!

Me Mum, Dad, Gran, Aunts, Uncles, teachers, peers, seniors, girlfriends; they all taught me. Distinctly remember though that saying please to some of those girlfriends didn't get me what I wanted!! slywink

Strange thing down here in Oz is that you will request a service or goods followed with the word, 'thanks' e.g. "Two pots of VB, thanks." or "What was the club name after Scamps, thanks."

Presumptuous of the service being provided...no, you still say thanks when you get what you asked for... Distinctly remember saying thanks for nothing on a few occasions as well. :biggrin:

Perhaps then it's down to Admins/mods to advise new members of what common courtesy when using a forum is all about then !!

How we would do that before anyone joins is anyones guess?

The new member joined and asked a simple question, as many before have.

If they return they may choose to introduce themselves in the appropriate forum.

If you can't see anything impolite in the post may I suggest an outlay of a few quid on a new pair of specs.

Alternatively:-

You should've gone to Specsavers.

PSSSTT may I refer my learned colleagues to the opening / first post from a new member in this thread :-

http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11520&hl=

If you're polite folks will try a lot harder to help you out !

Well, going back to the origins of this thread and the reaction it has drawn, it seems we have lost a new member. If he came back to read any replies he obviously felt too uncomfortable to reply or further investigate this site. Maybe a bit OTT methinks. I didn't realise it was mandatory to introduce yourself when I stumbled across this site whilst researching some history of Watnall, but certainly didn't get a reception like that!!!

• Upvote 1

Not wanting to start an argument with you Darkanza, but when you've been on here as long as some of us, and in all positions (Mods/ Admins etc) you see people like that come and go with a great regularity.

They come on, behave very rude, want something double quick , get their answer, then disappear, more often than not without even saying thank you, sometimes after a lot of work (including driving for miles) has been done by members on here to help answer their queries. Then they never leave us any information in return. I refer folks to one of the "Boon" threads on here, where several members traveled all over trying to track down a filming location, ending up on the other side of Newark in the end!!

And I don't think asking somebody to at least introduce themselves before asking us to do something for them is being OTT. You wouldn't walk in to a butchers for the first time and say "Give me some sausages" then walk out would you? No I didn't think so, 'cause if you did I'm pretty sure the butcher would tell you where to get off.

The conversation would be more like "Hello, could I have a pound of sausages please?"

Alternatively, "Give me a camping pitch" wouldn't work for you either would it ?

So why should it be any different on our forum?

Point taken, I just thought it went on a bit.

Re "Give me a camping pitch"...oh no they can get a lot ruder than that!!! We meet alsorts here, but being a customer services service we just smile sweetly and do indeed give them a camping pitch, usually the grottiest one we can find slywink

• Upvote 1

Sorry to butt into this. A sad state of affairs is that good manners are not taught and used in the way they once were. Even my grandkids think I am being tetchy when I remind them to use theirs. I was probably guilty when I first became a member and if so, please accept my apologies. However, with that in mind, I am prepared to forgive anyone who displays bad manners as long as they don't hit me.

But on the original thread. My mother in Law was once a cleaner at the Ad Lib club in the 1960s. Can't think of what it became. All I know is I felt much safer in Nottingham on a Saturday night in those days. And yes, we did used to get absolutely bladdered (a pastime which I continued on a much higher level when I went to live in Glasgow), but behaved ourselves without any violence.