A bit of a bump in Notts I believe?

I seem to remember a staged train crash on the line near Tollerton sometime in the 80's something to do with how radio waste storage containers would stand upto a head on crash, I believe the loco's were two class 45's or 40's, I also seem to remember the prototype tilting train being engine/turbine tested on the same line

Rog

They did test the APT on that old Midland line. I remember seeing it pass over the A46 one day on my way back from Leicester.

Wasn't it chosen as a test track due to having decent straight sections and gently curves?

Stephen, you are dead right. I was an employee at Nottingham Carriage sidings and they used the class 46 you mentioned and redundant mark 1 coaches. The engine, naturally had no driver but was remotely fixed to drive into the obstacle at a fixed speed. I don't really think that it proved anything that we didn't already know.

Later, when I was at derby we used to send a train of redundant mark 2 coaches to somewhere near Melton on the test track for army training. It may have been the SAS. I know they came back in a right state.

• Upvote 1

Scientifically, that is undoubtedly true. But everyone knew that nuclear flask wagons were treated very carefully on the railway, with special control measures for their movement. The prospect of any circumstances arising where one would encounter a smash worse than a 200+ ton load travelling at around 100 mph was vanishingly small. So, yes - it was a circus act, but a dramatic demonstration that they were secure under all reasonably predictable circumstances.

• Upvote 2

Again, from very blurry memory, one criticism of the test was that the loco and its wagons didn't present the most formidable of potential hazards (it is after all just a metal box that is easliy deformed and deflected) and that a more realistic test would have involved something like the corner of a bridge support all concrete and immovable.