Hi to every one. I recently joined this site as I find myself awake very very early every morning. (bad dreams). I used to attend County high school from its inception to about two or three years later when I chose to leave to get out into the big wide world.

I worked in a Carlton factory for six months and then moved to a job in Netherfield (Luxfers) . Stuck this for five months and then joined up and travelled the world for the following 23 years and seven months doing things and seeing things I would never ever had had the chance if I had not Joined up. Bad times and Good which outweighed the bad mainly. Left the Marines and worked for Marks and Spencer for thirteen years and now retired and doing what I was told so many years ago. When you retire your life revolves around one, two or all three of the big "G"s. God, Gardening or Grandchildren. I now live in Colchester looking after a three year old Grandson and enjoying life to the full.

So! what did you do after School?.

Hi Mattsdigs, welcome to The Forum.

If reading some of this stuff doesn't put you to sleep, then there's enough of it to fill the dark hours for you!

My life after leaving school has been pretty dull and boring when compared to a lot of the folk on here, and I reckon you will have lots to contribute.

Get stuck in !

Ayup Mattsdigs, after leaving school I learned all about life and how great it is, (learned nowt at school) welcome to Nottstalgia

Rog

I was born in Beeston Rylands but Dad took the Family orf to Australia back in 51 and we spent some time living in an Immigrant camp made of corrugated iron sheeting. Then into "Mrs Shadgetts Boarding house" where each and every night was an adventure with men coming into town after finding Gold, selling it and getting very drunk. The town "Collie" south of Perth W.A. had one church, one cinema, fifteen bars. We moved into a caravan out in the bush for some time and lived with creepie crawlies everywhere until Dad found us a house. The house was on stilts as it was in a swamp and the walls were sheet asbestos. Eventually we returned back to good old U.K and stayed in Beeston until Dad who was a miner, found us a house in Gedling. I joined Priory road junior school and then was given a place at Eastwood where I had to complete my paper round, get some breakfast and then walk the mile and a half to the pick-up point for the one hour drive to Eastwood.from Eastwood to County High school for three years and I requested to leave school before I was to take my GCEs because I knew that I would have failed everything. Because of the families wanderings I had attended some eight or nine different schools between the ages of five to fifteen and because of the travelling, I was not comfortable being at the same school for all that time. I did have problems making new friends and was glad to be out of school. Within a year I had joined the Royal Marines where I found all the travel that I wanted and had some great experiences.

One such experience was in 1976. I was based in Plymouth but was on a big NATO exercise in Sardinia. After the completion of the exercise twenty of us had no way of getting back to the U.K so we had our vehicles put on a R.N. ship heading for the U.K when the Lebanon blew up.So we were dropped off in Gibralter.(RAF camp). we all were given accommodation and after settling in we made our way to the NAAFI. Got in a queue for the bar and the RAF chap ahead of me in the queue turned around and said to me " I know you, Your name is Matt and you live in Gedling" . "how do you know that?" I replied to which he said " because my name is alec and I live the other side of the road from you."

This has happened to me in Hong Kong and in San Francisco so I must have one of those faces that doesn't change much.

• Upvote 7

then joined up and travelled the world for the following 23 years and seven months doing things and seeing things I would never ever had had the chance if I had not Joined up.

Join the army, travel to exotic places, meet interesting people, and kill them. :)

Did similar but never stopped travelling.

When you retire your life revolves around one, two or all three of the big "G"s. God, Gardening or Grandchildren

Another "G" - GOLF.

Welcome to the funny farm.