Mallory Park Motorsport Limited has today announced that the company has been put into Administration.

The development and use of the circuit has become incompatible with the locals desire for peace & quiet.

Until Donington was revived Mallory Park was the nearest motor sport venue to Nottingham. I spent many weekends there in the early 70's, probably the coldest place on earth - or so it seemed.

I was lucky to see the likes of John Surtees, Ronnie Petersen, Roger Williamson et al, all great sportsmen.

Anyone have any Mallory Park memories?

Absolutely! Remember taking a Bartons trip from Long Eaton to Mallory Park when I was a young lad! Happy memories sitting on the grass watching the racing. Also notable as the place Fritz Scheidegger, two times world sidecar champion, was killed - at the hairpin!

Seems typical to me that it is the locals complaints that are causing the issue. My guess is the track was there long before most of them moved to the village - same thing happens with small airports. If you don't like the noise, why did you buy there?

If I get chance when I am in the U.K., I still will go there for a day if there is racing on - either car or motorcycle!

• Upvote 1

I was a frequent visitor in the 70s, and remember chatting with Ron Haslam after one of the Transatlantic Trophy races, when he'd had to retire his Norton with mechanical problems.

On a lesser level, I used to go and watch the club racing as well. Along with Cadwell, it's always been a friendly circuit, with a distinct aroma of Castrol R40 pervading the air.

I was also there in 1970 for the World Cycling Championship road race, with the likes of Eddy Merckx riding (although that was a lot quieter ;))

The current situation is diabolical. The incoming locals moaning about the noise from a circuit that has been there a lot longer than they have, coupled with a greedy landlord who's put the rent up by 40% in the last few years, which has made MPML run more events to try to cover the cost, which has led the incoming locals to complain about the noise.....

Spent hours there with the likes of Mike Hailwood (true gentleman) John Cooper, Giacomo Agostini, Phil Read, Barry Sheene, Percy Tait, Franco Bonera, Jarno Sarrinen (sp) etc,etc, sorry to hear this news, didn't see much racing as spent a lot of time with the riders or in the scrutineers bay

Rog

Remember standing at the hairpin in the mid 50's watching the bikes, but cannot for the life of me remember who was racing ! Was only about 8 or 9 so have an excuse for not being aware of the heroes at that time (that's my excuse, feeble though it is)

TRICKYMICKY, If I remember correctly Cooper and Ago exchanged the lead on nearly every lap with Cooper getting the final lap, Hailwood and Rod Gould pulled out about halfway through the race on their Yamaha's, Barry Sheen also pulled out with fuel problems, I was in the pits with Mike Hailwood and Rodney Gould at the time and Mike was stood on top of their van watching the race, each time Cooper took the lead Mike would jump up and down with excitement until at the end of the race the van roof had all but collapsed, I think the event was "Race of the year" or was it the "post TT"?

Rog