the importance of good manners.

I also hate it when people can't say THANK YOU when I hold a door for them...

If someone walks off without acknowledging something I have done for them I have a phrase that I use, which originated some years ago...

I was on International Drive the tourist area of Orlando when a car pulled up and a German tourist popped his head out of the window and said...

"Vich Vey ist to Disney" I gave him directions and he just started to drive off! I cupped my hands and shouted after him...

"DON'T MENTION IT... Oh you didn't mention it!"

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would very much like your opinions of manners, if someone comes to visit your home - do you expect themto have any? I only ask as I can't stand ignorance, I have a family member who whenever they

A playgroup I used to go to thought I was too harsh on my daughter. Now I wasn't cruel, but I couldn't stand toddlers who didn't say thank you, eat with their mouths open and licked snit from their ru

I work for an agency anywhere that food is served. In ALL staff canteens the is but one ritual, particularly among young women. Sit down. Put plate of food down. Check phone. Have a mouthful of food.

Do you take your shoes off when you enter someones house? A member of my family expects you to at their house but does not when they enter mine.

When I enter someone's house for the first time I always ask if they'd like me to take them off.

Just tell them to turn their phone off when they come to see you, and explain that you consider it bad manners for a visitor to be on the phone all the time, different if they need to answer the damn thing but not to make calls in your house, or worse, play bloody games on the thing.

After all they wouldn't spend that much time on a land line

Rog

Judge Michael Stokes was not amused when a member of the publics mobile went off the other day in court, during a murder trial.

I am really glad it was not mine :)

I work for an agency anywhere that food is served. In ALL staff canteens the is but one ritual, particularly among young women. Sit down. Put plate of food down. Check phone. Have a mouthful of food. Check phone. have some food. Send a message. have some food. Check phone. Oh Hello. nice day. Check phone. another mouthful. check phone. God what has the human race sunk into.

Shoes off when with strangers? they'd soon ask me to put them back on. No matter how often I wash them, my feet are always....well....aromatic?

Here's a point. When I was a child, all grown ups, unless they were relatives, were Mr so and so or Mrs So and so. NEVER first names. Not ever. It was bad manners and would have been punished. Relatives were Uncle or Aunt or Grandad or whatever. That seems to have been committed to life's dustbin. Also at our house, when Mum or Dad were having conversations with anyone, us children kept quiet. When visitors came, the TV went off.

• Upvote 2

Just tell them to turn their phone off when they come to see you, and explain that you consider it bad manners for a visitor to be on the phone all the time, different if they need to answer the damn thing but not to make calls in your house, or worse, play bloody games on the thing.

After all they wouldn't spend that much time on a land line

Rog

I tried that, the person laughed and told me to stop being so silly. They sit on social media and youtube. Iv been told I'm too wrapped up in my house being my 'palace' and I need to ditch my thoughts on how people should 'behave' in another persons house.

Growing up, I was taught to call our elders mrs, miss or Mr whatever. We had a couple of elderly neighbors and I always refered to them as mrs and mr.

People comment on how well mannered my two year old is, she says her pleases and thank you's and if she doesn't I quickly remind her. And she knows to cover he mouth when she coughs.

Manners cost absolutely nothing. It shows respect, and everyone (mostly) deserve a little respect.

• Upvote 2

Beware they may be logging in to your home wifi (If you have it) and using up your data allowance!!

My wifi is password protected... They don't have the password :)

Federal government buildings security take your phone off you at the search area, you retrieve it on the way out, which would also count law courts. Besides, lots of phones today have capability for video recording, I'm surprised UK courts refuse to allow cell phones in them.

Just spotted an omission.... "I'm surprised UK courts don't refuse to allow cell phones in them"

My wifi is password protected... They don't have the password :)

Don't you believe it !

If it's on a little pull out jobby on your sky box (Or whatever service provider you have) then it'll take all of 5 seconds to take it out look at it and put it back in! (Whilst you're making them a brew for example!)

There is the original password on the box. But that's been changed. And the only way they'll get it is by askingus what it is.

On the subject of manners, I took my elderly father in law to a coffee shop in Arnold a while back.

I asked the woman behind the counter for "two coffees, please." Her answer was "Three pounds" (or something like that, can't remember the exact price now).

She took the money I handed her, put it in the till, and turned away without a word. As she was walking away from the till, I said "Thank you" to her in a loud voice. All I got in return was a filthy look and two cups of what tasted like dishwater shoved across the counter at me.

I've never been back to the place since, and wouldn't recommend it if it were the last place left to get a drink.

• Upvote 1

Oh dear. I am worried that other members might think that my parents were fire-breathing harridans who were always shouting and bawling at us when they weren't clouting us around the ear. Not at all. My mum and dad loved us and wanted the best for us. They wanted us to be independent, socially acceptable, hard working and above all POLITE. The only way they saw of teaching this was Zero Tolerance to bad manners. I am so thankful to them for all this. Wherever I work now I am loved because the younger ones are especially touched by being treated with respect and good manners.

• Upvote 2