Harry is over here to see a few boats

Big deal on Sydney harbour today. A full fleet review to celebrate 100 years of the formation of the Australian Navy. Prince Harry is taking the salute from the RAN accompanied by masses of ships from navies worldwide, including tall ships. Hope they show a bit on the telly over there. The harbour looked magnificient with perfect weather for the day. When I was living in Sydney used to pay just over a quid for a concession ferry ticket for a day on the water.

• Upvote 2

Fantastic display of fireworks from ships on the harbour. Unbelievable. Jeez, but it's truly beautiful place. Projecting historical videos onto the sails of the Opera House.

They certainly put on a show ! we only watched it on tv but must have been amazing to be there in person.

What also amazed me was there was still traffic going over the bridge even during the finale fireworks display !

They said Harry had a prime position from his hotel suite, nice, mind of all the royals I like Harry and William the most, and Harry appears a more normal sort of bloke.

He's only here for 48 hours, hardly worth the flight over :-)

Ain't it amazing.

A royal wedding, The Oliver Cromwell comes out.

A royal baby , and a new heir to the throne at that, Oliver Cromwell comes out

Harry goes on a jolly halfway round the world, and it's "Bloody good show chaps"

Where's the killjoys that normally raise their ugly heads about now ? Or have they given up as they know they'll get shouted down yet again!!

(Sits back awaiting the fertilizer to strike the oscillating air recycling machinery)

unionflaghellothereslywink

• Upvote 3

hellothere Hi Hippo, I think Harry is very much like Diana's side of the family, although he could be getting more like his dad and brother: losing hair on his crown - noticeable on last night's news (this recent event).

Robert Devereux (3rd Earl of Essex),was by far the biggest anti royalist, during the English civil wars.

He was the power behind Oliver Cromwell, and the one who taught Cromwell all that he could,in dealing with royalty.

Cromwell became 'Lord Protector', but he was answerable to the 'committee of seven'.

In the course of English history,the Earl of Essex would have made Cromwell look like a boy scout.

Sorry Ian, but can we have less Oliver, and more Robert. :)

Whatever the misgivings of their ancestors, people like Harry are human beings. He didn't ask to be born a Royal. He is living his life in a goldfish bowl and can't do anything about it, so please don't ridicule him for his lifestyle. At least these days, a Royals life is mainly recorded by the intrusive press and TV. Not like In Victorian times when certain members of Royalty were riddled with disease due to inbreeding, affairs and partaking in unnatural sexual activities . It's something pleasant happening in the world for once and I applaud it.

I'd rather have been born a Royal instead of a life of toil.

• Upvote 5

At the end of the day, anybody who slags off our wonderful royals are just green eyed, jealous, blinkered fools.

• Upvote 2

Harry isn't a royal, he is a playboys offspring ....

Only got your word on that..................................... slywink

Charles was probably the most moulded, manipulated, pressurised and downtrodden man the civilised world has ever seen. The poor chap has had my sympathy for many years. He's at his happiest now he's finally with Camilla. He was ruled by his domineering old bat of a Grandmother, who didn't even want him thinking for himself . A freethinking playboy he certainly was not!

• Upvote 3

Fifty three years ago I swore an oath of allegiance to the monarchy when I joined Aunty Betty's Flying Circus (RAF). There were no conditions attached, as in only as long as they paid me or similar. And I do tend to take such things seriously. If you swear an oath then you swear an oath.

So I have no hesitation in being wholly supportive of the monarchy at all times. Loking at the current dramatics in the US with the shut-down and debt ceiiings, who do they have to look to for "moral" guidance. The nongs in Hollywood or in some sports stadium? Shudder!!!

I use the word "moral" in the context of an expectation that they will do the right thing at all times.

• Upvote 4

Everyone's got a wild streak, it's just that some people keep it suppressed . There is nothing wrong with folk who are a bit freethinking, it shows character and initiative . Look in the mirror and you will see such a person.

I admire Harry, he's not had the easiest of upbringings. Please don't have a go at him just because he wants to be normal.

• Upvote 1

When not here, I hang out on a military aviation forum, and both Wills and Harry are held in extremely high esteem by all contributors there. As do I. Both are pretty top-notch guys, especially Wills as a SAR jockey. Neither of them have been "desk" jockeys. They're both doing their bit at the coal face.

• Upvote 3