Went out with my wife in the car on an errand to Sutton in Ashfield. We had to use the A38 and it was stair-rodding down. Visibility down, roads dangerously greasy. SO WHY ARE SOME PEOPLE DRIVING AS IF IT WERE OTHERWISE?????

I kept my speed down because of conditions. The first tailgating w---er almost got in my boot before he was off round me like a Grumman Tomcat. Then a van trying to push me off the road. At the lights where there are two lanes he screeched past then through the red light. What is it with these people. Have they a death wish? If so, I don't want to be taken with them

It's no wonder there are so many accidents these days.

• Upvote 1

When we lived in California, my wife phoned me and asked me if I'd take one of the company trucks out to make a delivery, I said "have you seen it outside"...Fog almost as thick as Nottm's pea soupers, well not that thick, but visibility was down to a few yards.

It would have meant a trip down Interstate 80 for a few miles with California idiots driving at 80mph, yeah they do it and wonder how and why there are huge pileups on the freeways....

No way, I heeded the CHP's warning, stay off the roads unless it's an emergency...Thank God we don't get thick fogs around here.

I blame the likes of Clarkson,Hammond and May,have you seen the way they drive in their programs? cutting corners, driving close to those in front like Bilbraborn describes, pulling away from junctions and traffic lights like their ar$es are on fire. I like the program but it makes me cringe when the idiots on Lincolnshire roads try to emulate them

Rog

I see examples of poor driving everyday. Yesterday for instance while driving up from Leic on the M! there was a temporary 50 MPH limit in force.

I set the cruise control to 49 MPH & the cars passing me @ 80 MPH + was unbelievable.

Mobile phones & driving ? Don't get me started on them !

I used to have a six cylinder, can't recall the engine size, but a straight in line 6, when I first lived in Oz..It had tremendous torque, three speed column change...I'd sit at lights, a young kid in a souped up Mazda or whatever would be sitting in the next lane, I'd rev my engine and the idiots could never resist..I'd inch forward as if I was going to take off fast, he'd do the same, I'd keep revving the engine, lights would change, he'd be off in a cloud of tyre smoke, I'd be just driving at my normal slow pace peeing myself laughing...

• Upvote 1

I live on a steep hill. 30MPH. With 2 primary schools and 2 swing parks, so it should be. They power up the hill like god knows what. Round the corner on the A60 they have a regular speed trap van but not on my road where it is plainly needed.

Two years ago in answer to complaints from parents of children at one of the schools they had a copper out with a hand held device. They caught 32 speeders. 24 of them were parents taking their kids to that same school. What an example.

I don't normally comment on these kinds of posts (A mate of mine is always ranting on Face Book about bad drivers) But just this once I shall.

Every single one of us makes mistakes when we're driving, some of us are far worse than others, and it's usually the ones amongst us who do the most ranting that are the guiltiest !

E.G. I drive down to Crewe from here quite regularly. The speed limit is "National Speed restrictions apply" meaning most of the 10 mile trip it is 60 mph, I don't think I've been able to make the (What should be) 10 minute trip in less than 20, 'cause I always come up behind some twit doing 30 to 40, now I'm then forced to make an unnecessary maneuver and overtake them. These are the people who then sit there and say to Dolly in the passenger seat, "Look at this idiot, what speed does he think he's doing?" ETC

Also these idiots are forcing you to use more fuel as you can't get into higher gears and keep your revs down !

Rant over

It's 15mph in school zones around me, get caught doing more and they throw the book at you!!

A weeks ago when crossing the New Bay bridge in San Francisco had been lined up for about 40mins approaching the toll booths.Needing the cash only ones a lot of drivers got into the automated lane by mistake because of poorly marked lanes and the over head digital board continually changing anyway a lady in this green Citroen DS19 wouldn't let anybody in to the cash lane that she was in,couldn't believe it she was waving a fist and shaking her head the silver Chev l let in along with other vehicles.l doubt anyone using the Bay bridge on a regular basis wCalifornia2013Sept104.jpgill ever forget the green Citroen..

I don't normally comment on these kinds of posts (A mate of mine is always ranting on Face Book about bad drivers) But just this once I shall.

Every single one of us makes mistakes when we're driving, some of us are far worse than others, and it's usually the ones amongst us who do the most ranting that are the guiltiest !

E.G. I drive down to Crewe from here quite regularly. The speed limit is "National Speed restrictions apply" meaning most of the 10 mile trip it is 60 mph, I don't think I've been able to make the (What should be) 10 minute trip in less than 20, 'cause I always come up behind some twit doing 30 to 40, now I'm then forced to make an unnecessary maneuver and overtake them. These are the people who then sit there and say to Dolly in the passenger seat, "Look at this idiot, what speed does he think he's doing?" ETC

Thats the point, the maximum speed limit is 60, 50 or 40 whatever, this doesn't mean you have to drive at the maximum speed does it ?

In fact the max speed on a NSL single carriageway for HGVs & certain vans is 40 mph & 50 mph on NSL Duel Carriageways.

So the next time you get stuck behind a HGV driving at 40 mph, don't blame the driver, he is driving within the law. Driving my car I never drive at the maximum speed, ever.

Remember Beefsteak, all that racing around is doing you no good, stress, adrenaline, high blood pressure = HEART ATTACK !

Over here the speed limits are stupid in some places, on some roads a car can go at 90kmh but trucks are restricted to 80kmh, and long loads to 70kmh, it is the same going through a lot of towns and villages, cars 50kmh and trucks 30kmh, all on the same road..............

Just to set the record straight for you Catfan, I have spent the best part of the past 30 years behind the wheel driving for my living and notching up nigh on 2,000,000 miles in the process, so I don't need lecturing by you on "Rules of the road" and the highway code, thank you.!!

If you had read my post properly and not truncated it as you did when you quoted it you would have seen it was a RANT, and my opening 2 comments clearly covered what I was meaning!

Anybody doing 30 in a 60 limit is forcing other normal road users to take unnecessary risks, end of. (By the way , that road I'm talking of is the main route from Northwich and the surrounds to Leighton Hospital , Crewe (Our hospital) and as such should be a fast road to allow fast passage for ambulances, but no, you still see Sidney and his pal Dolly (Complete with sticker in the back windscreen saying "My other hat is a balaclava" ) trundling along at 30 mph whilst all and sundry queue up behind them!

I know the speed LIMIT is there for a reason and as such it should be obeyed and not seen as a challenge, as it is by many a boy racer (And one or two older ones too) but there should also be a mandatory minimum speed limit on trunk roads.

• Upvote 1

Travelling north the other day on Clifton Blvd approaching Queens Med Hospital, I was in the inside Lane when an ambulance overtakes me. I checked my rear view mirror as he passed, then suddenly the car in front of me brakes. I stopped about an inch from her bumper.we were in the inside lane, the ambulance in the outside lane. Why did the tw*t feel the need to brake.

Don't instructors advise pupils on such situations?

Beefsteak, I do agree with you about people crawling well below the speed limit in optimum conditions. I drive pretty fast when conditions allow, but when visibility is poor and roads are greasy, one has to use ones common sense. Also, tailgating someone because they are driving too slow is not good driving. I am aghast at the silly speed limits that the little lady of Nottingham has imposed on all built up areas. It is stupid on some roads, but the law is the law and you cannot cherry pick which ones you want to obey.

Like you, I curse the idiot who causes danger by doing 40 in 60 limits. The road from Lincoln to Skeggy is a common place for this. Some very annoying people out there. But with over 40 years driving experience, I suppose I have a lot more confidence than the 18 year old girl on her first drive to the coast.

I am not perfect in any way, but some drivers need to take a look at their attitude to the way they handle what is potentially a killing machine.

A road speed of 60MPH is stating that no -one can drive at a greater speed. It is not a mandatory minimum speed restriction. It is pe

I blame the likes of Clarkson,Hammond and May,have you seen the way they drive in their programs? cutting corners, driving close to those in front like Bilbraborn describes, pulling away from junctions and traffic lights like their ar$es are on fire. I like the program but it makes me cringe when the idiots on Lincolnshire roads try to emulate them

Rog

rfectly legal to drive at a lower speed providing that you are not presenting you or your vehicle as a road or safety hazard.

Cutting corners is acceptable if carryed out safely. It is known as " Ironing out the bends and I was taught the system when doing my Staff Car drivers course and my advanced driving course.

Mattsdigs, while I agree with you to a point the majority of drivers are not staff car drivers or advance drivers, out here they are just stupid Lincolnshire idiots who think no one should be allowed on the road but them, in most cases they have a mobile phone stuck in one ear and a carrot in the other and very little to separate the two

Rog

My pet hate is getting stuck behind a lorry overtaking another lorry,usually on the A1. The manoeuvre can last for up to 3 miles or so, both vehicles restricted to the same speed, with the one being overtaken very often nudging in front again, so everyone behind has to sit and wait till the game is over. Then if you dare to glance at the "winner" as you pass them,they glare or gesture at you as if its you thats done something wrong..

No need to apologize.

From personal experience if you're driving at 56 and come up behind another doing 55.5 mph you have less wind in your face and therefore you have to overtake 'cause if you sit in behind him you are constantly going up and down the revs and gears so as not to smack into the back of him thus using more fuel, and at 8 miles to the gallon it works out rather expensive

Hope that helps

Some wagons are set at 52 MPH, mine 56 MPH others any where in between.

If wagons didn't overtake then there would be an almighty procession following each other nose to tail for miles !