Past Grand Prix Champions.

An interesting article in the Post the other day about Tim (Sir Henry) Birkin - past motor racing champion in the days of very interesting racing cars. Racing for Team Bentley - fitting a supercharger to his 4 litre Bentley leading from start to finish at Le Mans in 1929. When Bentley withdrew from Motor Racing, he transferred to Alfa Romeo racing alongside Lord Howe. This home grown Nottingham man was iconic in every way, even managing a lap at Lemans at an average speed of 85 MPH on 3 wheels - one had blown out.

His supercharged Bentley Blower was sold at auction in 2012 for over £5 million but a temporary export bar has been placed on it by the culture minister in the hope that some rich Brit can afford to buy it and keep it in the country.

Sadly, Birkin was killed at the Tripoli Grand Prix by an exhaust burn which became infected (no anti-biotics in 1933).

How many people in Nottingham know that a great Grand Prix driver was born here (in Aspley Hall, not Ruddington Grange as it said in the Post).

Funnily enough I was up at Wilford Hill Cemetery recently and went over to the big mausoleum that stands to the right hand side as you look up the hill (near the children's burial ground) I have noticed it before but had no idea who it was for. Inside the locked wrought iron gates are several plaques referring to members of the Birkin family, including Tim Birkin. It appears that several members of the family suffered accidental death. I'm sure that I read that they were from Ruddington Grange though, they must have moved from Aspleh !!!

Thanks for that information i am a grand prix fan and had no idea never even heard of him do know they had real B...s in them days bit surprised he wasnt from the meddas .Modern day GP drivers would not even sit in the car ALF and SAFETY.

A friend over here (he is from the Isle of Wight) has one of THESE and, if you check the "History" on the link, you will discover that this Lotus 7 replica (or clone) is named for Tim Birkin!

Lizzie, A few years ago I did some in-depth research on Aspley Hall and members of the Birkin family did rent the place for a while. Sir Henry (Tim) Birkin was born there but the whole family moved to Ruddington Grange when Tim was still very young. He is actually buried at Blakeney in Norfolk. I believe that the Birkin family Mausoleum has been renovated in the last 20 or so years.

Charlesworth, Some drivers in Nottingham actually think they're at the Grand Prix.

Taxi Ray - Yes the lace factory and also Jane Birkin of 'Je t'aime mais non plus' fame of the 60s.

Edith Carlin, one of TI Birkin's daughters, dedicated her life to nursing and during the First World War she opened and ran Bayley's Red Cross Hospital in Derby Road.

This is in the article in bygones, anyone heard of it or know the location?

I have that copy of the Bygones somewhere. I had noticed that all the Birkins looked the same with a wide forehead and narrow eyes. In those days only someone with large financial means could do what he did. What a man!

I used to work in a factory across the road from Guy Birkin's lace factory in New Basford. The building I worked in was demolished probably 30 years ago, I've not been round there for many years, does anyone know if Birkins is still there and is the company still in existence?

The factory was there not long ago when I passed with Guy Birkin written on the side, but whether or not they still make lace there is another thing. Probably not.

There was a film made in 1995 of Tim Birkin called "Full Throttle" and starring Rowan Atkinson.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0212959/

Also this from the Dundee Courier 23.06.1933 .

10435348375_9f875609e3_z.jpg

10435348345_72c071344c_z.jpg

• Upvote 1

Didn't realise that the film Full Throttle above was also the title of Tim Birkins own book .One to look out for in a charity shop ! Cheapest I have seen so far has been about £35 .

http://www.oxfam.org.uk/shop/books/biography/full-throttle-by-sir-henry-tim-birkin-bart-foreword-by-the-rt-hon-the-earl-howe-783560