Maps of Radford in the Victorian era

I want to have a map/maps that covers the Nottingham City area Basford & Radford mid Victorian era i have one for Basford but a really tatty photocopy for Radford . I am trying to find out where Bloomsgrove Street was in Radford was where my ancestors lived.

Bloomsgrove Street ran from Denman Street to Ilkeston Road.Garden Street is still there,Bloomsgrove was the next street up Ilkeston Road towards town.Now gone.

This map section 1882

vwg9.jpg

I have most of Radford on maps dated 1881 scale 1/500 that's, ten & a half feet to the mile

I also have all of Radford dated mid 50s/early 60s scale four feet to the mile

I can do photo copies & bring them over when I visit Nottingham.

The Victorian maps are somewhat large and copies are about £3.50 each

The Victorian maps are highly detailed and have things like lamp posts & standpipes shown.

I've just been through my large scale maps of Radford & Bloomsgrove Street is on four dirrerant maps

I do have a smaller scale map dated 1914 of the area that starts just wesr of Canning Circus & goes beyond Radfotd Railway Station(Midland Railway)

• 1 month later...

I will have a look at my collection

By large scale I mean LARGE

The maps are 500/1 or ten & a half feet to the mile

I will go through my maps & PM you with details. photo copies are about £3.50 (has to be scanned) + postage.

Maps are very detailed lamp posts,stand pipes & letter boxes, are all shown.

welcome maggot53 there is always somebody on here who will try and help if they can

Picture the Past don't seem to have a photo of Truswell Yard, but they have two showing Prince Street, looking from Ilkeston Road. Truswell Yard would be just beyond what is visible on the photos.

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM019456&prevUrl=

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM019488&prevUrl=

Hi

I have only just joined and noticed that you mention large scale maps of Radford to puchase.

I have been trying to get hold of a map detailing Truswell Yard which I believe was off Prince Street....my dad was born there.

Are you sure it's Truswell yard?

On my map there is a Truswell's Place off Prince Street & consists a row of back to back houses.

What year was father born?

My map is dated 1882 map size 42" x 28" & covers an area from The Jolly Higglers - Radford railway station

Just had a look on the newspaper archives and there are about a dozen stories mentioning Truswells Yard but all of them apart from 2 say its in Castle Gate .

The odd 2 say its on Hounds Gate .

The last story was in 1934 when there was a demolition order published itemising numbers 24-32 even numbers inclusive and 1-13 odd numbers " and Truswells Yard" if that helps place it .

Hi...first of all thanks for your replies. On my dad,'s birth certificate it details Truswell Yard..he was born in 1920. The family later moved to 112 Kennington Road down by Triumph Road. I have also come across a Claude and Bertie Margetts who were both killed in action not long before the end of WW2. I believe that Claude had a son also Claude who was a showman at Goose Fair.....I've got to look into this.

By the way I was born in Lenton Abbey Estate.

With regards to map of Radford I would love to buy a copy.

Ian

Can anyone identify Oxford Place Radford - a family member was born there around 1868. From the birth certificate (which is an actual copy of the original) recieved from GRO today, Oxford Place appears to be on Delgue street or Delque or Delgune street. Ring any bells anywhere?

The only Del**** Street I've come across in Nottingham is De Ligne Street off Grafton Street Radford.(1870s) There is also an Oxford Square off De Ligne street.I haven't had time to search further to place it on a map where an Oxford Place might well be marked.