going together

Over the years i have noticed many many couples where once one dies the other follows shortly after wards this was true of my own parents is this purely coincidental or is there other reasons does anyone else have examples or theories serious or funny. It could be naggivg heads and tails shes nagged me on this side so she meres well nag me on the other.

Life can be very cruel to many people but there are others who find much happiness. They find their ideal partner and have a very happy life together. When one of them dies the other one just feels that there's nothing left to live for. Their whole world has gone and they go into a deep depression and pass away themselves. It's tragic for their family but some people who have a faith will believe that they are together again in a different place.

• Upvote 1

My mum died in 2003 and I lost my Dad last month. They were together just short of 60 years and my Dad never got over losing her. He cried about it every time I saw him. I like to think that they're together now.

• Upvote 1

My father died 26 March (born Dulwich Street Radford 24 June 1926) just short of his 66th birthday.

My mother is still alive but ailing aged 84 (born Guthrie Street Radford 4th August 1929)

They were "together" for nearly 43 years.

• Upvote 1

THE WIFE OF PIGGYS 93 YEAR OLD FISHING FIEND HAD DIED THIS WEEK AGE 96 THEY HAVE BEEN MARRIED ABOUT 74 YEARS THEIR YOUNGEST SON IS NOW OVER 70HE WAS HER SOLE CARER FOR ABOUT 10 YEARSUNTILL 2 YEARS AGO SHE HAD A FALL AND BROKE HER HIP SHE HAD ALZIMERS BECOUSE HE COULD NO LONGER LIFT HER SHE HAD TO GOINTO A CARE HOME I WORRY THAT KNOW SHE HAS GONE HEWILL DECLINE IN HIS HEALTH HIMSELF NOW IT WOULD BE SUCH A SHAME AS HE IS REALLY A LOVELY MANWHEN SHE FIRST WAS IN THE HOME HE WAS VISITING HER ALMOST EVERY DAYOVER THE LAST YEAR NOT QUITE SO MUCH AS MOST OF THE TIME SHE DID NOT KNOW HIM AND AS HE IS ONLY PARCIAL SIGHTED HE HAD TO RELY ON SOMEONE TO TAKE HIM.

• Upvote 3

My Mum died aged only 64 in 1988. At the time my Dad was only 66 and had relied totally on my Mum for all decision-making. They were married for 40 years and still very much in love. My brother and I worked hard to keep Dad motivated, taking him on holiday with us etc. I rang him 3 or 4 times a week from where I was living (Hertfordshire), half an hour at a time, just chatting about everything and anything. He would drive down the M1 and spend a few days with us. Dad was a shy man and no matter how much I tried to encourage him he wouldn't join old people's groups. Eventually, 9 years ago when our youngest son left home we decided to downsize and move to Nottingham, for the sake of my Dad. At that point I visited him every day, sometimes only for half an hour but I did it to keep the old man going. He eventually passed away this year, aged 91, of old age but riddled with arthritis. I'm proud of the way Dad kept going, I really didn't think he would live as long as he did without his sweetheart.

• Upvote 7

My gran married in 1918 aged 21. Her husband - the granddad I never knew - was 27. Sadly he contracted cancer and died in 1942, aged 51. Gran died in 1975 aged 78. At the time her son, my uncle, pointed out something that I found very poignant - she had been a widow for longer than she had either been single or married.

MY MUM HAD VERY SEVERE ARTHRITIS TO THE POINT SHE COULD NOT MOVE THROUGH VERY VERY SWOLLEN JOINTS SO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY MUST HAVE DONE A VERY GOOD JOB KEEPING HIM MOTIVATED WITH HIS AGE AND CONDITION

Interesting thread. I can see how this would happen. I have known a few that departed within a week or two of each other over the years.

I lost my first wife of a heart attack at 53 years of age back in 99. Not looking for sympathy here in fact I may have posted about it before. Memory a bit flaky these days. I was only 54. After the initial shock I just about went nuts. (Some may say I still am :crazy: ) How could this be happening to me? I Wasn't suicidal but I didn't care if I lived or died. We had a very happy 33 year marriage. I know I will see her again one day but it is now almost 15 years. I was fortunate enough to meet another lady 2 years later and now have a happy second marriage. She had been widowed in similar circumstances to me. One gradually overcomes the numbness but never completely heals. The Bible says "the two shall become one flesh" I find it a bit like losing a leg must be. One eventually overcomes the pain and shock but you still have a wooden leg. I was younger relatively speaking but I could see how an older person who had the same partner for many years could just give up and die.

• Upvote 7

I think it is lovely when someone can find love again. But I know if my wife went first I never could remarry. I would probably have lady friends but I know there is no-one who could come close to my lovely wife. We have been through so much together.

• Upvote 2

You raise an interesting question Bilboro Lad. The Religious leaders asked the same question of Jesus. (Please bear with me here, not trying to preach, just using as example.). They spoke of a woman who had been married nine times! The question was, "who's wife will she be in heaven." He said " there is no marriage in Heaven."

I think that marriage was instituted as a legal contract to protect families here on earth. Thus no need for it there.

After my first wife has beaten me up for my subsequent misdeeds on earth. (Just kidding). I think we will all be able to settle down and get along. As people who will have been cleansed of earthly anger, jealousy etc. we will be able to co-exist quite happily.

That is a very superficial response, I know. I don't want to get bogged down quoting loads of Bible references and be accused of preaching/prosletyzing. Just trying to answer your question as concisely as I can, and realizing that not all will agree.

We once discussed what one or the other would do if they were left. We both agreed that if they found someone else they could be happy with tie the knot. No hard feelings. Neither of us thought we would actually end up in the situation.

• Upvote 1