I am a PhD student at the University of Nottingham extracting settlement classification from data harvested from the mass content of web pages. For example, my research has shown that 54% of data refer to Arnold as a suburb whilst 46% call it a town. In order to validate my work – I need to ask people in Nottinghamshire how they would describe specific places. I would be extremely grateful if any of your members were able to complete my questionnaire.

How would you describe different parts of Nottinghamshire? Fill in this quick survey (10 mins) to possibly win up to £50 gift vouchers:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/TZHSG7N

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This site can sometimes be a bit snooty education is a good thing but if you have it /it dosent make you perfect and it seems to me that some people only have input when they feel superior bearing in

Paul. I'm convinced. It's just that I've seen so many false research posts by market researchers over the years. They rarely answer any question that is set to them whereas you have answered them all

Do you not think it's rather rude to discuss Paul in the 3rd person and impugn his work and motives in this way? What exactly qualifies you to judge his methodology and the the aims of his research? H

My daughters a PhD student at Nottingham. She wouldn't dream of coming onto a forum and asking rather silly questions.

The people that do that are market researchers. That's their job. That's what they get paid to do. They nearly always pretend to be Uni students.

A PhD student needs control over collated figures. There's none in such a survey. My daughter is currently studying research methods and statistics - it ain't done like that.

Supermarkets are the main users of info about the population.

an advantage of .0025 over rivals still means a lot of money.

BYW I filled in the survey at random without looking - so the information is already flawed.

I can assure you that I am a University student ;)

The control is adjustment for age / gender / length of residency

I hope that they aren't "silly questions"

I can go into details on the rationale but do not wish to bias any responses

#11 Bilboro-lad

I thought it was about the individuals perception and knowledge of different places, not just general data gathering. Thus providing quite interesting reading I would have thought.

Where abouts would we find you at Nottingham Uni? What department? What sort of 'harvesting'? Why do you ask for the respondents postcode?

Exactly why are you making such a ludicrous study?

The control is adjustment for age / gender / length of residency plus postcode.

Now that's just the type of info that market researchers are using for their clients.

Sorry to be suspicious but I see these dumb surveys everywhere, they are pointless for genuine research as you have no control whatsoever on who or why the respondent responds, and ask three people to define a 'town or a 'district' and you'll get three different answers.

If you are sceptical - please message my university account (as in the survey) and I will respond.

The postcode is useful for my PhD work which maps neighbourhoods and I hope it will validate my work

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/~psxpb2/phd.html

and yes - it is optional

Sample size is a control by itself. If you ask enough people - many effects should be averaged out. I certainly do not want to ask only 3 people - that would be pointless.

The study is as darkazana states about perceptions of how different people can describe place. A probabilistic settlement classification may give a far more detailed account of different places that a static one categorised by say population only. I could bore you with more details if you'd like! :P

The harvesting is by using the Bing API which is based on search engine results.

"A village to me may be a town to others" - which is exactly the point of the survey. Traditional settlement classifications are usually along the lines of: City / Town / Village / Hamlet with no flexibility of being multi-categorical. If you would like further details please email my university account (psxpb2@nottingham.ac.uk) and I will be happy to answer your questions there, rather than side-track this thread.

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/~psxpb2/phd.html

Me thinks if genuine then he and others within his study group (if he has one) may think twice about contributing to the forums in the future. I may be wrong but i think its genuine

See link

He's researching something but I don't think we know what it is. The sample size in a single forum is way too small for genuine research.

Not only that, the research is completely flawed. If he trawls search engines for Arnold Town (as he says he has), most of those results will be about the football team, not the suburb/town/village/area etc. And he's still to explain why he needs the postcode.

"to assist comprehensiveness of local web searches (so if a user searches for a service within an named area - all services are returned even if the proprietor didn't specify the named area within their address information)"

He's probably working for Google or such like.