Towards the end of the war, on a Saturday in the summer of probably 1944, with a schoolboy friend I caught the Barton bus from Long Eaton to Nottingham. We completed what we went in for and made for Mount Street bus station. This was jam packed with people waiting for buses. My friend said he would wait but I decided to walk home. I was about 100 yards from the bus stop where I would have alighted if I had waited and a bus passed me and pulled up at at the stop. My friend alighted at the stop and was astounded that the walk had took no longer than his wait and bus journey.

• Upvote 2

Welcome to the Forum Tom, do keep posting and let us have your memories on the multitude of threads on this site.

You seem to have achieved something of a landmark already, having as many likes as started topics and posts !!

Welcome Tom .

Beat the bus and you probably saved 3 pence !

Like the wee laddie frae Glasgae, who came from school shouting, "Mither, mither - ah've run hame behind a tram and saved twopence." Whereupon mother clipped him round the ear and said, "Och, ye wee fool - why didna ye run hame behind a taxi - ye'd ha' saved five bob?"

• Upvote 3
  • 1 month later...

Towards the end of the war, on a Saturday in the summer of probably 1944, with a schoolboy friend I caught the Barton bus from Long Eaton to Nottingham. We completed what we went in for and made for Mount Street bus station. This was jam packed with people waiting for buses. My friend said he would wait but I decided to walk home. I was about 100 yards from the bus stop where I would have alighted if I had waited and a bus passed me and pulled up at at the stop. My friend alighted at the stop and was astounded that the walk had took no longer than his wait and bus journey.

I remember the Barton buses and the Mount St. bus station. I used to travel on them from Bramcote to Nottingham to work in the 50s and thought it was a long journey! I remember seeing a Barton bus some years ago here in Scotland and was surprised to see them still in existence. Maybe not now?

Hi Bramcote, welcome to the Forum. If you click on the "Nottingham Transport" section, and scroll down to "Buses in Nottingham" you'll find plenty there to keep you going !

There are loads of threads on here and you will find that the folk on here collectively have a vast amount of local Nottingham knowledge stored, so do get browsing and posting.

It's an excellent site!