Going for the rations

Yes, I remember the concentrated orange juice - little medicine bottle with a bright blue cap. The cod liver oil came in the same shaped bottle but with a navy blue cap. With regard to Kia Ora orange drink, in the early to mid 50s it came in a waxed cardboard carton with a perforated hole in the top that you pushed out with your thumb (huge scope to splash the stuff all over the place, and mainly down your clothes!) It was not only sold in cinemas, but also at railway stations - often from barrows perambulating along the platform. I remember coming home from holiday in Weymouth about 1955 - scorching hot Saturday afternoon, parched throat and nothing to drink. Promised a carton of Kia Ora when we changed trains at Bristol. When we got there a porter asked us where we were for, and promptly hustled us through the subway on to a Derby train just about to leave. Do you remember the picture of "Desperation" crying his eyes out on Five Boys chocolate? - well that was me! Eventual relief at Gloucester from a platform barrow.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think we used to get chicken giblets that didn't require a ration coupon, and were very cheap - big bag for a shilling. Chicken necks, livers, kidneys, stomachs, etc. The stomachs had to be skinned

I remember it well!! As a young kid I joyfully went to get my monthly sweet ration and duly handed over my precious coupon which was cut out of the ration book. What a joy in about 1950 that I was a

#47 Sounds like the same stuff, carni. I can't remember much apart from the great taste and the fact that it was in something like clear medicine bottles. This would be latter fifties.

#49 Clifton

That looks spot on for the path Cliff, Carlton Electro Plating would be where the car park is, thanks for that Cliff.

Also on station road was a big old house that stood back ,I think an old lady lived there ,we all called the house steads,they reckon it was haunted,now gone new houses I it's place I think.