student rag week

I recall selling the Rag Mag off slow moving carnival floats (lorries) during my student days 1965-69.

The jokes were usually quite funny and if you went to a different city and happened upon one of their Rag Mags then you found most of the same jokes in their mags. I guess joke recycling was a necessary part of collecting money.................. Errrr what happened to the money??

I recall in 1968/9 one guy falling off a lorry and breaking a leg as a result. I doubt 'Elf and Safety would allow the jumping on and off wagons nowadays.....

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I was Karnival Director for the Art College in 1969 (prior to its amalgamation with the Technical college to become Trent Polytechnic and later, Trent Uni). Previous contributors are quite correct - the Karnival magazine was called 'Chick' although I never knew the origin of the title. The name 'Karnival' was, I understand, a response by the joint Students' Unions to a Nottingham City Council ban on students having a 'Rag Week' in the city- so the students simply renamed it! Sales of the magazine alone raised thousands of pounds for various charities. Each year, Karnival featured an animal mascot: in '69, it was Harold the Soixante-Neuf Hippo.

1969 was notable for a number of 'stunts' designed to increase publicity for the Karnival: the promotion of a mystery female 'film star', who swept into various venues followed by an entourage of 'reporters' and 'pressmen'. We were assisted in the deception by the manager of the Elite cinema in Parliament Street who invited the 'star' to a reunion party for ex-parachute regiment members (including Richard Todd!) ; the sabotage of the 'Festival Fountains' - then newly-installed in Slab Square - by students spiking them with detergent and resulting in a sea of foam for about an hour or so; 'horizontal rock climbing' (students roped together laying flat in the market square and 'climbing' the slabs - it looked more amusing than it sounds); a bed-pushing race, and so on. It was also the first year that a rock band played in the square, attracting a huge crowd. The high (or low)point (depending upon your personal tastes) was the 'Bitter End Ball' featuring the Tremeloes...

The parade was a regular feature with a number of lorry 'floats' decorated with very creative displays and accompanied by students in a variety of costumes. On the day of the parade, it rained. The floats were constructed in the main, from cardboard, papier mache and plaster of paris and the effects of the dousing meant that by the time they had covered the distance from University Boulevard to the Market Square, a good deal of disintegration had set in. However, the waiting crowd didn't seem to mind. For me, the most remarkable aspect of the whole event was the combination of the unflagging good humour of the student participants, the high degree of involvement from the very generous general public, and the total absence of any kind of 'trouble'. Nice job, Nottingham.

• Upvote 5
  • 2 weeks later...

#30. Welcome barretkeller. 69 was a good year indeed......... We must have met!

The L Shaped Room probably.

These badges (Pic attached eventually!) lurking in my archives and somewhere I have one of the ubiquitous 69 T-Shirts that I wore for about 40yrs when working in the garage!