student rag week

Can anyone remember student rag week in the 60s when students had floats and raised money for charity certainly happened in the meadows but dont know if it happened other parts of nottingham.

Remember them well - and participating in Rag weeks at college in London and Stoke-o-Trent. Don't they do it any more?

Den - that explains a LOT!

In 2001 or so I employed a medical student who was that year's chairman of the Nottingham University Karnival committee. They broke the world record for rag week fund raising with something like £440,000 if I remember correctly. They have continued to be the most successful 'rag week' in the country, year by year, breaking the record again in 2011 and then again in 2012 with £1.6 million raised last year. Karnival is a year round fund raiser rather than the older single week series of events.

I have not seen or heard of rag week since my childhood but must have left impression for me to remember. i remember floats and people throwing coins at students sat on the back of open lorries creating a real carnival atmosphere as it moved slowly along Queens Drive sometime during the sixties.Interesting to hear they are still raising substantial amounts of money DJ.

Used to look forward to buying the Rag Mag each year, it was always a good laugh and the most anarchic piece of media around apart from TW3 at the time. Seem to remember it was quite pricey at 2/6d a throw!

• Upvote 1

What happens now is that freshers have a whole load of events during their first year. 7 legged race from pub to pub in town, snowflake ball etc to introduce then to the idea of Karnival. Then, many of the 2nd years do fundraising challenges such as walking up Kilimanjaro, marathons, cycling in Asia etc which is where most of the money is raised. Hence it now being about the whole year rather than a single week as in yesteryear.

• Upvote 1

I remember the Rag Week Balls, they had some good groups appearing at the Sherwood Rooms.

Canned Heat, Hollies, Small Faces, Bluesology etc. Always tremendous booze ups.

Linky no workee!

It is a "Private" album in PhotoBucket - which is why you can see it, but others cannot.

The best way to do it is to go to the pic in PB - on the right side you will see a number of "link" boxes - go the the one labelled "Direct" and click in it - it will automatically copy the link.

Now come back here - when you are entering, or editing a post, there will be a toolbox row above the text entry box. First put your cursor where you want the picture, then click the tool that looks like a picture (and shows the text "image" when you hover over it) - then paste the link into the box! It is easy!

Snowy01_zps0faf2ca0-1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Is this what you are trying to post ?

Never used photobucket but using your link above , the only way I could get it to embed was to delete the (IMG) bit off the front and then pasting whats left , as below , into the image box from the menu tools in the reply box.

Image box looks like a TV screen , under the smiley face icon .

http://i974.photobucket.com/albums/ae225/siddha1/Nottstalgia/IMG_0001_zpsba48f868.jpg

IMG_0001_zpsba48f868.jpg

Thanks David it was what I was trying to post!!

The instructions were clear and I did as you describe. When I paste the URL into the dialogue box and click on OK then nothing happens.

Must be something wrong with my computer it could be a IE problem .

Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

I recall the Rag mag in the early sixties. I think it used to be called Chicks. Not sure where this name came from (assuming I'm correct of course)

It had some interesting humour a bit in the TWTWTW vein. If you're unsure what TWTWTW stands for google it then check out the clips on YouTube. Lots of great comedians at the dawn of bigger things.

I didn't get to Uni until 1972 (Salford) and the only appeal of the students union was the cheap beer and great bands that performed there.

I used to buy the joke book (still use it)

I used to buy the joke book (still use it)

you sure do den lol