Down the drain

"Plane it Smooth straight and square boy"

God forbid if you planed below the bottom scribe line!

(Easily rectified by running your pencil along the edge of the wood) :)

• Upvote 1

Dont know about you tgc but i had same trouble with marciniak because i was crap at metal work anaal,come to think of it every teacher in the school caned me ,got to admit it i was crap at everything ,could tie me shoe laces though,10 times a hour.

"Plane it Smooth straight and square boy"

God forbid if you planed below the bottom scribe line!

(Easily rectified by running your pencil along the edge of the wood) :)

Oh you'e prompted me memory there Mick - Piggy caught me doing just that with me pencil once - oh... I can feel the pain from that caning again now...oh....

Ohh...

• Upvote 2

Dont know about you tgc but i had same trouble with marciniak because i was crap at metal work anaal,come to think of it every teacher in the school caned me ,got to admit it i was crap at everything ,could tie me shoe laces though,10 times a hour.

I thought at the time, Marciniak (Marmaniac) hated me with a vengeance and took pleasure in nippin' the back of me hair.

But I soon realised he hated all the lads!

We had a music teacher at FFGS , David Grey, his speciality was to twist the hair just in front of my ears where my sideburns were starting to grow. God, that made me squeal. I always wanted a pee after that. He was a real sick ba5t4rd who scored many a direct hit with the wooden board rubber. I never got my gyroscope back that he confiscated which I'd had one Xmas. Had the last laugh several years later when I heard he'd been caught in compromising circumstances with a female pupil.

I've tried putting spare change into a big bottle but the grandkids always find it.

As for caning. There were some sadistic beggars, but I was the bane of some of our teachers lives and deserved all of my punishment and more. I'm proud to say that my own kids were very well behaved at school.

• 5 months later...

Can anyone remember the waterman he rode round in uniform on a push bike ,they worked for waterboard but not exactly sure what they did,can anyone enlighten me.

Here's drain confession: when 15 myself and girlfriend wanted to earn a few bob so we undertook to deliver Venetian blind advertising postcards therough letterboxes on Bestwood Park Estate. We spent many hours traipsing up and down long front gardens and all for half a crown per thousand delivered. Towards late afternoon we were both exhausted and had earned about five bob between us. We decided that enough was enough, so we stuffed the remainder of our postcards down the road drain. Alas, the drain cleaners found them and I was deeply humiliated by being called a lazy , good for nothing scrounger. :(

• Upvote 1

Don't blame you on dumping them Compo, think I'd have done the same..

The only teacher at Trent Bridge who didn't cane me was as far as I can remember Mr Chalkly the science teacher. Marciniak was the one I feared, he was a friend of my Dad & for that reason thought he wouldn't cane me, how wrong I was, I can still feel him twisting the hairs on my neck, ouch..

Waterman rode a push bike and if you remember had a series of stop tap keys and a listening stick strapped to his cross bar. He helped manage the water flows through the mains and also with his stick would listen for leaks.

Another version seen around the canals was the guy who checked the water levels in the pounds and corrected them by opening and closing weir gates.

• Upvote 1