As an addition to the threads about Stoke Ferry, Speed Boats, and Trevithick, here's another river topic.

I'm just about old enough to remember the pleasure steamers which operated from near Trent Bridge - I think I went on them as a kid. They were operated by a company called A. J. Whitty who were based near City Ground.

This is one of Whitty's steamers, Empress, on the Trent Bridge to Colwick service. Apparently she took part in the evacuation at Dunkirk and was sunk on her second trip there.

whitty1.jpg

Whitty's boathouse is the one on the extreme right. Note the primitive version of Forest's City Ground - and Lady Bay bridge when trains went over it.

whitty4.jpg

Almost the same shot, but with steamers moored over winter. The "NO..." is part of Nottingham Forest's ground.whitty5.jpg

The boathouse from the Nottingham side of the river. Whitty's building is on the right of the three. The next two are the still-existing Union Club and Boat Club.

whitty2.jpg

Sunbeam, with the Trent End in the background.

whitty3.jpg

• Upvote 1

I remember going to ROT a couple of times on the steamers.

We lived at Cliff Drive, ROT and it was usually after I had stayed at Grans in WB and as a treat, we would get the steamer from TB to ROT and then walk along the cliff top home.

Still remember the polished brass of the steam engine, the varnished wood and hard wooden seats. Everything polished and clean and me leaning over the edge to watch the water go by.

• 11 months later...

Here is a postcard of ariversteamer from 1908.

TrentBridge_zpsc8207fa5.jpg

When did the steamer service stop? I can remember that the staging was there in 1961 - but can't ever remember going on a river trip.

• 1 year later...

Just watching a tv programme on BBC4 about the steamers which used to sail from the holiday spots around the British Isles. Reminded me of the Pride of the Yare. There was a short section of the north bank somewhere near the Colwick Cheese factory which was fenced off and folks used to treat it as a beach and swim in the river. Can't remember what it was called?

• Like 1