Water Cooling Towers Near the Palais 1928

There'd have to be a substation of sorts in or near the Meadows Steve, the "volt drop" whould be huge over the distance between St Anns and the Meadows.

My guess would be the Meadows got it's supply from Wilford power station, I'd hazard another guess, that originally it generated DC and the time you're mentioning, there could still have been one unit still operating with DC output.

Some DC systems used motor generating sets, large AC motors coupled to large DC generators.

Reminds me of Ward-Leonard system ......Other elecs will know what I mean on that one.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Interesting...Huntingdon Street was known as Millstone Lane then...and they are water cooling towers..which in turn means a water supply. There is an underground stream there,which was used in earlier

The water cooling towers stood on the site of the present Litmus Building at 195 Huntingdon St., formerly the site of Huntingdon St. Bus Station. The towers were steam condensers for a power station a

they should have kept that building and could have called it Nottingham Castle lol

Posted Images