Family tree lark - Duke Street Radford

As ever, Cliff Ton is the man who knows his way around the maps. I dont know how he does it so fast, or so well, but he has my admiration.

You accumulate stuff over the years. You sometimes wonder whether it's rubbish or useless. One day you discover a way of using it. I don't know where I got most of it from, how long I've had it, or - in some cases - exactly what it is. Via Nottstalgia, I've discovered things I didn't know I knew. Think of it as recycling the junk in my head.

• Upvote 3

Melissa you might enjoy this book Blackout by Connie Willis . http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blackout-Connie-Willis/dp/0575099283

Its about some Oxford based researchers that have a time machine and in this story go back to the London blitz . The heroine takes a job in a wartime department store and lives in rented digs and lives through air raids etc and of course only has a certain timewarp to get back to her present time . Very gripping and the wartime scenes seem realistic .

Although this is a standalone story its actually a sequel to her earlier book called Doomsday Book where the researchers go back to medieval times and the black death !

• Upvote 1

Likewise MercuryDancer. An absolute genius!

You can meet the Genius on 28th :)

And dont forget to 'bring yer mam'

• Upvote 1
  • 3 years later...

Hi Melissa, I'm also interested in Duke Street.

My ( Step ) Father was born at 67 Duke Street in 1900. Tragically his Mum died about 10 days after his Birth and is buried in the Rock Cemetery Nottingham.

His Father was a grocer and I assume this was also on Duke Street.

Welcome SusieQ.

One point to check; looking at various old maps, the road in Radford is always named Old Duke Street. Are you certain that is the road you are looking for, because there was also a Duke Street (with no Old) in Bulwell and also one in Basford.

Cliff Ton it would appear to be the New Basford address that SusieQ refers to ( unless there were two ladies with the same name that died in 1900 !)  . See below from the EP.
There were other reports of Widdowsons being in a shop on Duke Street as far back as 1878 .

WIDDOWSON.—In loving memory of Emma Eliza Widdowson, late Duke-street, New Basford, and eldest daughter of Thomas Spinks, who died October 23th, 1900. Two years have passed but we still miss her . Her memory will never fade."

28 October 1902 - Nottingham Evening Post
  • Like 1

When SusieQ returns, she'll discover she's possibly been looking in the wrong place.

I had a look through a few directories for that period and there are no shops listed for Old Duke Street in Radford.

However, in the late 1890s, there is a Walter Widdowson, Grocer, at 67 Duke Street, Basford.

Glad you cleared that up. I was wondering why Duke Street was being referred to as Radford. The Duke Street I know is at Basford, easily accessed from Sherwood Rise

Thank you for the welcome and your comments Gentlemen.

The address on Dad's birth certificate and his Mum's death certificate is 67 Duke Street ( sub- district Bulwell ) I guess that is Basford?

That would tie in with the Walter Widdowson at the same address.

David W thank you for the obituary, I hadn't come across that.

As I explained,this was my Step father's family ( but he was my Dad from the age of 6) so although he wasn't my blood relative, I was

interested in his family history. I always felt sad that he didn't know his Mum and she was so young when she died.