Did I really drive this?!

Popular was 2-door and Anglia was 4-door.

I suppose progress isn't all bad. From Wiki and the 1954 Ford Popular. had a top speed of 60.3 mph and could accelerate from 0-50 mph in 24.1 seconds. A fuel consumption of 36.4 miles per imperial gallon was recorded. The car cost £390 including taxes

i believe they carried a six volt battery in them days hence the starting handle it was wise to have a parking light rigged up, i was knocked up early one morning by a copper it had gone out.

• Upvote 1

Yes, they were a six volt system. Had to use the handle a few times. Had to watch it doing that because that old beast could kick back like a mule.

Mary 1947, not sure of the price of AA badges in those days but you are probably right. :-)

Cliff ton. Interesting, I did not know the difference between an Anglia and a Pop.

I thought there was a bigger difference than the number of doors. Shows how wrong one can be :).

i believe they carried a six volt battery in them days hence the starting handle it was wise to have a parking light rigged up, i was knocked up early one morning by a copper it had gone out.

i have my parking light at the ready....and my AA/Rac Badges :)

010.JPG?gl=GB

012.JPG?gl=GB

what car is in your photo pianoman

Got it wrong yet again very first car was a mini traveller it used to have a little squeak from the front wheel. Well I had my first son at home we lived at the bottom of Manning St, St Ann's which had a slight hill. Paul had been born the night before so feeding in the night was normal when I heard the squeak from our mini I woke up the other half who looked out of the window only to see the mini going down the road on its own. Well I've never seen the other half move so fast he even managed to get both legs in one trouser leg, any way after chasing our car which went to the bottom of the hill and around the corner, it stopped, my other half by this time was not a happy bunny, on reaching the car he pulled open the driver's door and told the person to get out! well the gent who got out the car was at least 6" 6" and built like a sh----- he said that he had missed his last bus to Leeds. My other half explained that we had just had a nipper. Bless him the chap could not stop saying he was sorry any way he went on his road. Never to be seen again.

ps next car was the 14/40 Wosely