Garden still flowering

Garden still producing some flowers:

IMG_0480.JPG?gl=GB

The Magallenic fuschia, my favourite:

IMG_0504.JPG?gl=GB

Californian poppies still flowering their little hearts out:

IMG_0485.JPG?gl=GB

• Upvote 6

I'm going to get me lad down to help me put garden photos on, might be too late agapanthas just starting to go over.if I don't make it there's always next year. yer know what its like being an oap trying to catch up on all this technology. see yer, going back in me corner wi me pointed hat on.

Compo

just moved house ,advice please, now got a much larger garden and was wondering about 'planting'. Roses,evergreens,Cordylines etc,ive brought some from my old garden that were in pots and a friend is bringing me another load,plus ive already bought more obviously also in pots.

I love a nice garden and with pretty much a 'blank canvass want to get it right.

Thanks in anticipation, Benjamin.

What type of roses? Some grow tall and some not. Tall ones should be placed behind short ones. Cordylines will eventually grow very tall and should be given a place as a "Dot plant" where they can be admired or at teh back of a border where they can grow up as a backdrop.

As a general rule:

Find out how big the plants will be when fully grown and make sure there is enough space around them to grow that big or you will end up having to move them again.

Dig a hole bigger than the plant roots. Put in plenty of well rotted horse manure, farmyard manure or compost and water well before backfilling. Backfill with soil lto the same level as the plant was in its pot and firm down with the heel of your boot. Water again and keep well watered for teh first year until established.

Roses like lots of dung in their soil but are very easy to grow. foolow same general rules for planting.

Check that your plants are not acid lovers. eg. Laurels, Rhododendrons, Camelias. If in doubt let me know their type and variety and I will check for you. Acid lovers must NOT be planted with neutral or alkaline lovers (most plants). It is uselful to klnow the pH of your soil and a cheap kit can be had from your local garden centre. The pH will determine what you can most easily grow.

I don't like planned gardens but they can be very nice. Think of the picture you would like to see in a few years time when the garden is established.

Finally, all plants grown in containers can be planted out now provided that you keep them very well watered until late autumn. More info if you want it :)

• Upvote 1

Thanks Compo, my old garden i was very proud of,only small and i made it very 'Cottagie,however my new one is much larger and i want to make it more formal,there is a nice lawn already and i want to plant round all sides leaving the lawn as it is,for when the Grandkids come round.

Thanks again compo' i could be back for more tips. :)

Farmers are only too pleased to give away their farmyard muck. They are limited by law to how much they can put back onto the land.

Benjamin: Take a piece of paper and doodle a plan that includes your potted plants and see how it looks. A pond is always a great feature for both aesthetics and pollinating insects :)

• Upvote 1

Back again compo,the wifes off on a long weekend from friday,so i'll be left to my own devices,thought about going 'clubbing' or to an all night 'rave' or even looking up an old 'flame or two,

However decided against these options and will concentrate on getting my planting done,after noteing you advise that now is ok for it.Ive had a nice 'Palm' about 5 years still in pot and about 6ft tall ,will it be ok to transfer it into the ground ? i'd hate to lose it as its my favourite.

• Upvote 4

Where are you 'compo' ? weekends nearly here,and 'Boothy' is trying to 'Palm' me off,

SWMBO is limiting my time on the computer these days. I was getting to be a bit of an addict.

Many palms are frost tender and will not survive a hard winter. Find out what type it is and check it's frost tolerance. Alternatively, do what I do: I keep my tender plants in pots and put them out in Summer and take them in during winter. You can put the pot into a hole and lift it again when the time comes.

Thanks again compo, its been out (in pot) the last 4 or 5 winters and has thrived,so think i'll leave it in its pot,

Anyway get off the computer now,who do you think you are 'Percy Thrower' :)

When I took over my Dad's old house (where I was brought up) earlier this year, it was just to late to get a real start on the garden. Even though he was unable to do much in his later years, it was still a very lovingly tended garden. I have my own plans but need time to sort it all out. Now I have my greenhouse up, I can get seeds started early next year. I will need to sort out the soil though. Too much clay. Anyone know where I can get free hoss muck near Bilborough? I love a nice garden and hopefully, most of my plans will come to fruition by this time next year.

Don't know about the 'Hoss muck' but Wilkos in Bulwell are doing a decent bag of 'Compost' at a pound each,bought 10 bags today.

• Upvote 1

Wifes gone, started planting then peed it down,wish i,d gone 'clubbing'

Who was you going to club?

• Upvote 1

Right pleased today,Wilko's had some 'Palms' £2 each about 18 inches high,bought 5 thought 'they'd look nice in bigger pots on the patio',got home then realised they were indoor ones,...........wifes peering thru em like a Japanese sniper at the moment asking me what i want for dinner.

• Upvote 2

Oh its ok,shes seen the funny side; i can see her cooking Sushi' behind the Foilage,and drinking Rice Wine.