Perseid Meteor Shower

If there are any Star Gazers out there,

I have just read on the Internet that we have the Perseid Meteor Shower which will peak from the 11th to 13th Aug. We have three Super Moons, close together this year, 12th July,10th Aug and the next one 9th Sept, which has made the shower a little more difficult to see. We usually have a Super Moon on average every 13 months, but this year we have three close together, which is rare. This will not happen again until 2034! If you are interested, check it out on the Internet for more accurate details. Happy Sky Watching.

• Upvote 1

Trouble with this is good old Bertha might make it a bit difficult to even see the super moon, hopefully clearer skies tonight.

• Upvote 1

We had a good view of the Supermoon last night here in Braintree, quite eery, it was shining through the landing window and just about lit the whole house up. I completely forgot about the Perseids, they usually start to become very active about midnight, I was out at 11:00pm watching satellites, but didn't see anything else. I remember about 10 years ago we were holidaying in a remote barn conversion high up on Exmoor with no light pollution and fantastic views, the Perseid meteor storm that night was the best I've ever seen.

• Upvote 2

Something else that won't be around again for about 800 years (so I'm told) is this month with it's 5 Fridays, 5 Saturdays & 5 Sundays!

• Upvote 1

And the mozzies would eat me alive if I went star gazing.

You sound like me John: mozzie food. When I get off the plane in foreign land I can almost hear the local mozzies laughing, they bite me everywhere & I do mean everywhere (yes even there :) ) They never bother SWMBO at all, s'not fair.

I'll try & have a look at the sky tonight if I can keep awake..

My daughter, who like her dad, gets eaten alive by the mozzies, takes vitamin B12 everyday, and so far, so good, they are leaving her alone. It changes your P.H. levels apparently.

I'm the other way, Liz gets a in a right state when the mossies attack, she'd end up in hospital if she got stung by a wasp, a bee sting doesn't bear thinking about. I got stung on the hand by a wasp last week and barely noticed it. We have 'Jungle Spray' around the house, it doesn't seem to help her much though. Thanks to the large amounts of house martins, dragonflies and bats we have around the garden, plus all the frogs that live in the pond and feed off the larvae, the mossie population is much reduced. I also reckon that having a fag when you're star gazing keeps them away as well. It could be lounger time out in the garden tonight definately. This might sound a daft question, I've got Google Sky map on my I-phone, a recent addition, do meteor showers show up on that?

My daughter, who like her dad, gets eaten alive by the mozzies, takes vitamin B12 everyday, and so far, so good, they are leaving her alone. It changes your P.H. levels apparently.

I'll have to try that next time I go abroad Katjay, thanks for the info.. X

Been taking B12 for years, everything I've tried, the mozzies like too, they prefer me to the cat.. I'm slowly removing their breeding places, as soon as that's accomplished, shouldn't get too many around for "dinner"

I gave up smoking years ago Pete, not going to start again now...LOL

You should try some of our hornets, like their cousins the wasp, they sting repeatedly, but their sting is ten times worse than wasps, and they tend to be more aggressive.

I was stung on my left hand a few years ago, my hand was so swollen I couldn't bend the fingers of my left wrist, it was so swollen, it looked like the Pilsbury dough boys hand..It was out of action for almost two weeks!!

How I liken a hornets sting, try and imagine rubbing a red hot needle across your skin..VERY painful. I'd imagine Katy or Eric have been stung by a bald faced hornet, they will relate to my description of how it feels.

Funny about your Hornets, due to the warmer weather, they have really established themselves in Essex over the past few years, when I first moved down here 40 years ago, I'd never seen one, now they're common place. Funny thing is, large and frightening as they appear, they're quite benign compared to wasps, I've never been threatened by one, ever, even when they fly in the kitchen and cause havoc, but not with me. I have a photo somewhere of one that landed on the bonnet of my MGB, I put a tape measure alongside it and the bloody thing was 2 inches long, it never bothered me though.

I did check on my I-phone and it showed the epicentre of the Perseids, right next to Cassiopea just as I thought. I sat outside till 23:00 but saw nowt, went back to bed, woke up at 1:00am, went outside and had a fag as a mossie precaution, but again saw nowt, the moon was soooo bright though, it almost hid everything in the sky, I could hardly look at it.