John Mayall

I logged into Nottstalgia and clicked on 'View New Content' and the first thing that caught my eye was 'John Mayall'. My heart sank, I thought he'd passed away. Thankfully, he hasn't and can continue with his great Blues music. John Mayall's Bluesbreakers has had some of the greatest musicians playing for them including, Eric Clapton (Yardbirds and Cream), Peter Green (Fleetwood Mac), Jack Bruce (Cream), Mick Taylor (The Rolling Stones), Aynsley Dunbar (Ainsly Dunbar Retaliation & Whitesnake), Mick Fleetwood (Fleetwood Mac), John McVie (Fleetwood Mac) and too many others to mention. John Mayall OBE, is a British Blues icon and an inspiration to anyone who plays or listens to the Blues.

On Cliff Ton's Melody Maker post Ten Years After's Christmas Party must have been a great show to be at. I also see that Stuart Henry, who I saw many years ago at the Colwick race course, was appearing at the Marquee.

I had the same reaction as Michael (#3) - immediately had to check he was still alive!

Slightly off topic, but when I lived in London, the sister of one of my flat-mates was at college in Manchester with the sister of Peter Green. Every now and then the phone would ring, and the person on the other end would say "This is peter, is Richard going to Manchester next weekend?" - it was Peter Green, who would get a lift with my friend to see his sister - funny thing was, they did the drive in a 1956 Ford Pop! Peter Green was already well known by then, and could probably easily afford a private ride but for some strange reason he preferred going slowly in the old Ford. Richard said he didn't talk much, and NEVER about the band or his music!

John Mayall was great I saw him many times at the Nottingham boat clubs and at The Beachcomber.

I saw him in with the recently resurfaced Pete Green in the 90s in Market Harborough that was a good night but poorly attended.

The "Beano" Album was my favourite and I still play it regularly.

• 1 year later...

John Mayall was just one band I can remember at the Beachcomber, there were many others which I don't recall at the moment, by the time I got to the Beachcomber I was usually to far gone to remember much! I remember seeing Graham Bond at the art collage with Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce and don't forget Nottingham had its own vibrant blues scene at this time, Colin Staples et al. so there was always a blues gig happening and I just love the blues man.

PS. I've just fired up Windows Player and the Hi Fi and I'm playing The Blues Breakers with Eric Clapton [the Beano Album] a real ground breaking album.