Vanished! Carlton and Netherfield.

We took my sis and bil to East Bridgeford on Thursday via the ring road from the MI and through Ratcliff village. We decided to return via Gunthorpe, Burton Joyce, Netherfield, Carlton and then head for Derby. I used to live on Park Rd., Carlton, so I thought I knew the area quite well. Well, it's over 20 years since we used that road and we got suspicious about changes when we missed the Pub in Burton Joyce (was it the Admiral Rodney?) and somehow missed Netherfield and Carlton completely. I was lost until Colwick woods were spotted, then the Notts County ground. Bleddy ell, it's changed a bit!

The pub on the main road in BJ is the Wheatsheaf. You'll have been sidetracked by the by-pass which now takes you to Colwick, instead of straight on to Carlton, through Gedling past the school. You'd have had to take a left at the lights.

When was Colwick Loop Road opened? I'm fairly certain it was some time in the 1980s.

I thought it was about fifteen years a go but a quick google says 2007, which surprised me. Initially you couldn't get through on the old road from Burton Joyce but three or four years back, the council removed the restrictions, without actually telling anybody!

Caught me out when I was there recently too, I tried to get down Stoke lane off Burton road, only to be shunted into Netherfield via the long way then along the new bypass and turn right into Stoke lane again, it's ok for buses but nothing else.

Also the narrow bit off the bypass back onto Burton road, the old bit near the school, was buses only too, it appears they were doing people left right and centre for ignoring the buses only sign, so after a public outcry they changed it to allow cars through as well.

Common sense has prevailed at last. That's unusual for the various Councils around here !

They normally do their utmost to totally p155 drivers off.

I thought it was about fifteen years a go but a quick google says 2007, which surprised me. Initially you couldn't get through on the old road from Burton Joyce but three or four years back, the council removed the restrictions, without actually telling anybody!

It was opened before 1988.

I think we might be at cross-purposes. The bit from Burton Joyce to the retail park is recent. The bit from Vale Rd, coming from the city, to the retail park was early eighties.

And the section from Burton Road to Victoria Retail Park was in the 80's too. Sorry, I thought that was to section you meant.

In my original question I was referring to the early section from Vale Road up to the retail park, and then to Burton Road. I knew the later section was around 2007.

• 5 weeks later...