As you drive from Carlton Road towards Daleside Road, on the left hand side of Manvers Street, just before you get to Sneinton Hermitage, you pass a tall grey brick retaining wall. I believe there was once a railway goods yard on top.

Anyway, there is a large tunnel built into it. Does anyone know what is in there? A new sign has appeared on the wall outside it recently, but it's been too dark for me to make it out as I drive by.

I think you will find it was the entrance to the Mamvers Street goods yard.

Looking at old maps I can see no other way in for road traffic.

Originally built by the London & North Western railway it was opened in the mid 1880s

I had my wagon in there last year, It is a firm selling second hand office furniture., goes a long way underground !

As Bubblewrap pointed out, yes, it was the old entrance to the railway goods yard.

• Upvote 1

The entrance to the goods yard was off Newark St., the opening in the blue brick wall is/was the entrance to the warehouse beneath the goods yard. I first knew it in the early '50s when the warehouse was used for ripening bananas for Hintons, Wholesale Fruiterers(?) in Sneinton Mkt. The LMS Rifle Club were able to use the loading dock roadway as a 25 yd. range until Ffyfes took over the warehouse and we were chucked out but eventually rehoused down Castle Meadow Rd. in some converted disused stables.

• Upvote 1