Yes, I can remember the name T K Statham. You'll have been a black-powder enthusiast then as well presumably. My shooting was mainly police and service pistol, some rifle. It was diabolical the way pistol shooters were treated by Blair. Politicians covering their arses yet again.

Black powder rifle and pistol, Police pistol 1 & 2, Practical pistol and shotgun used to do Practical rifle until they got rid of semi's.

Blair colluded with ACPO to get rid of hand guns. If only the general public had realised how many millions it was going to cost things might have been different. Even now some folks think they just took the guns away, they have no idea the government paid top dollar for them and everything that went with them. I even emptied my scrap bag of split cases and got 10p each for them. The whole fiasco was a bloody joke.

I didn't know that. I lost out badly then, an S&W .357 686, Colt 1911 .45, Dan Wesson .357 , High Standard .22 and a nice broomhandle Mauser 9mm. Over three grands worth back then ' took off my hands ' for £800. Some dealers must have been rubbing their hands then. Makes me feel even more aggrieved.

Still, on a more positive note, glad to see the Paris situation has come to a positive end, but a huge tragedy in lost innocent lives. Now the arse-covering starts. Lessons must be learnt, these things aren't going away.

Crikey mate some one robbed you blind your broom handle was worth well over a grand on its own.

The idea was you took your stuff to the local coppers, who booked it in and it was allocated a price from the official government list. All factory made handguns were bought in at new retail value, custom made guns and antiques were valued by your gunsmith and this value was paid to you plus the cost of the valuation.

Standard ancillaries like reloading gear, Safari holsters, mag pouches ammo etc were bought in for new retail value. Oddments like empty cases were even given a cost. I managed to collect 600 split cases from scrap bag and got 10p each for those, they had a scrap value of about £4. Then there was the any other item list, one which turned out very well was the any other unnamed holster £10. Army surplus stores were flogging ex army webbing holsters for £5. I walked in one shop and bought his entire stock of 63 and knocked him down to £4 each.

I and many others were determined to milk the government for every penny we could for taking away our sport and I am very glad to say my cheque was just over 5 grand. The actual cost figures have never been released which should give people pause for thought but one guy from the press did some figures and said they could have built 2 new hospitals.

Aargh, Please don't say anymore. The £800 was the best out of several London dealers. Saw me coming or what.

Mind you, the Met absolutely hated shooters, perhaps they were the robbing barstewards.

• 2 years later...
On Thursday, January 08, 2015 at 11:39 PM, TBI said:

I think back eighteen months or so with horror, as everyone did, at the news footage of the murder of Fusilier Lee Rigby. Whilst his murderers were still strutting around with blood-stained knives and a pistol, members of the public continued to walk by within feet.

Not sure I'm for this world anymore :( shocking

http://news.sky.com/story/lee-rigbys-killer-michael-adebolajo-has-helped-convert-prisoners-to-islam-11106882

My late uncle was still alive at the time of Lee Rigby's death,  after they were sentenced he said i would sell my house and give the money to anyone who gave them the same treatment.  A navy man for 24 years and not shy of coming forward.

• Like 2