My Ipad keeps telling me to update to Ios 8.2.1 or something to that effect. I think I am still on Ios 6. Something. In many ways I hate to mess with it. It works fine. Feel like , if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Has anybody here done that update? Did it cause you any problems? Was it even worth it?

I have noticed some apps are starting to say they won't be updating any more so I guess I will be forced to update soon if i don't do it.

Has anybody here done that update? Did it cause you any problems? Was it even worth it?

I'm on an iMac - not Pad - but the principle's the same. The longer you don't update, the more problems you are eventually storing for yourself. As you mentioned, certain things won't be updating and you'll find some programmes just won't work any longer. As an example, a few years ago I didn't update my iMac for a while, so I couldn't use Chrome as a browser. More recently I found that I was missing features on Google maps because I wasn't totally up to date.

If you don't update soon, you won't be able to update at all because the gap will be too big for the update to cover, and you'll be stuck with something which is stalled at whatever you are now.

If it's free - do it. Otherwise you'll eventually have to buy a new one.

• Upvote 1

You dont need to do a back up, as in Itunes it backs up automatically before doing the upgrade. Big d/load though, over 1gig !

I have an Ipad air, and wife has an Ipad 2 , both now running IOS 8.2 something, wifes runs a lot slower but is fine with the update.

You dont need to do a back up, as in Itunes it backs up automatically before doing the upgrade. Big d/load though, over 1gig !

I have an Ipad air, and wife has an Ipad 2 , both now running IOS 8.2 something, wifes runs a lot slower but is fine with the update.

Sorry I meant upgrade not backup ...Whoops

Well, I gorrit done. Now says it is 8.3. Made a backup to Icloud of all data and am currently waiting for the backup to install. Seems pretty slow. A note came up to plug it in rather than leave it on battery so I guess Apple expects it to take a while. Thanks for the feedback. I'll give a final report when it is all done. Fingers crossed.

• Upvote 1

I don't think it takes that long usually, maybe an hour at worst but if it goes flat when you're doing it, it buggers it up and needs a reload. I did a backup on mine a while back and it failed . Nothing to do with battery as it was plugged in but it just threw a wobbler and I had a dead iPad. Had to restore from a computer. Major hassle as I don't use window and don't have iTunes.

Love our Ipads but hate Itunes with a vengeance.

My youngest daughter, she has an Iphone 6 now and wanted to load a backup from her older iphone 5, she does not have a pc so had to use the cloud and it deleted all her music from the old phone as she had d/loaded it from somewhere other than Itunes !

She got some songs but lost heaps ! maybe using a pc she could have saved them but just because she doesn't, they can !

Well! Starting to learn a few things now. Mostly good. It wiped out all my photos, but they are all on my computer so I will just have to reload when I have time. Now have emoticons 😃. Which is nice. Seems to work at the usual speed for internet sites like Nottstalgia. If I want to download a new app it seems MUCH slower than before. Quite a few other things seem interesting but it will take a while to explore them. Just about get it figured out and along will come an upgrade to version nine. Battery life does not seem quite so good. Probably just need to tweak a few things and turn off some features. Already turned off Bluetooth and lowered brightness a bit.

• Upvote 1

Thought I'd keep you updated. Having had a bit of time with it I think Ios 8.3 is an improvement of version 6. There are some neat features to suggest words for you on the keyboard. Apps now seem to be loading quicker. No problems with wifi connect. A few tweaks to Safari which seem to have made some things more accessible. Battery life now actually seems better than before since I made a few tweaks here and there myself. Still hate Itunes though.

• Upvote 1

You're right on the Itunes issue. Today I decided to add a few more photos to my Ipad's albums. What a pain! That Itunes program is a masterpeice of obscurity. I tried to drag the file across to the Ipad and got some obscure message about possible deleting existing albums. Well, anything for a laugh eh? Sure enough it added the new photos and deleted all the others. Aaaaargh! Fortunately I had the other photos backed up on the computer so now told it to install those. It finally did after some frustration. Why can't they make it like any other computer, add or delete a photo without this so called synchronizing.

I quite like the Ipad but I will never buy another Apple product until they sort out a sensible way of adding or subtracting files to existing folders. Itunes? what a piece of junk.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...

Here we go again! My magic Ipad now tells me to update to version 8.3. Has anybody else seen this or done it yet? It talks about some bug fixes that I have noticed, especially periodically disconnecting from wi-fi. I'm just thinking I will wait a week or so first and see what the general response is.

Yes, today I uploaded an update from Apple; the biggest difference is what used to be called iPhoto is now just called Photos, and the layout has changed. Not sure how much difference it might make on an iPad, so you may have to re-learn your way around.

The problem of wi-fi dropping out is something which I experienced, and it was fixed in a previous update a few months ago.

Although the update for an iPad might not be exactly the same as an iMac, bear in mind mine was 2.2 GB and took over half-an-hour from start to finish.

Well, I did the update. Mostly O-k but it dumped all my photos, AGAIN. I tried to back them up to Icloud. Now they are neither, on my Ipad or on Icloud. Fortunately they are backed up to a USB drive and I will have to re-install them via that kludgy program called Itunes. I like the Ipad, but surely Apple could do something a bit more smooth than their pesky I this and I that. Probably the last money I will spend with them.