picky post people

I am a pretty relaxed person and see this site as a device to express experiences in nottms past and present. The bump- spelling- snappy police- i find a little disturbing. Someone could post somrthing about: lets say- sherwood rooms- there story or imput could be a superb one which no one else knew or has been forumed before!! To be met with a thread history and a cutting comment is not in the interest of stimulating notts or nostalgia.

I agree with you about the negative effect of cutting comments but I find this a very friendly site. There are so many threads and such a wealth of fascinating detail that if someone points out that a post of mine also relates to another thread I find this helpful as It leads me to other areas of information. I keep delving into the older threads and posts and finding out amazing things. Positive thinking is the key. Just focus on the idea that all of this is fun, friendship and the sharing of very valuable local and social history. Enjoy!

• Upvote 5

I understand your point Ian, I agree to an extent. I don't think reference to previous threads should be an issue, after all, the site places great store on it's nostalgic archives. That shouldn't stop new posts developing further. Occasionally though, attendant comment could be a little less... abrupt?

• Upvote 1

Thanks for support folks . I don't want to appear sensitive or controversial but i feel that other peoples feelings and capabilities should be taken into account! The poster could be ill- housebound-or lonely!! Fun i am finding this site , especially as i am a newcomer. But in the interest of tranparancy i had to mention this.

I've got a simple answer Ian, I don't comment on topics that don't interest me. In fact, some topics, I don't even read.

I think there is something for everyone on this site. As I've said before.... All walks of life, rich, poor, well educated, others not so, all political persuasions and religions, salt of the earth types, and egotists.

This is what we fought two world wars for.... Freedom of choice and freedom of speech (within reason of course)

Btw, there are topics regarding the Sherwood Rooms. Have a delve matey.

• Upvote 3

For myself I can only be nostalgic about Nottingham to a certain extent and if there were no cross-words or banter, what a boring site this would be. Isn't this transparency?

• Upvote 2

Re #1. I'll tell you what's disturbing, the thought of some camel faced nonentity being in charge of this country in a months time !!!!

Sorry, no politics !!!

Camel faced nonentities have been in charge of many things for many years in many places- this was a non-political broadcast on behalf of the Oompah Brigade.

• Upvote 2

I don't comment on topics that don't interest me. In fact, some topics, I don't even read.

I think there is something for everyone on this site.

Exactly

If everybody complained every time something upset them, this would be the most miserable, moaning forum on the internet, populated by a few only-happy-when-they’re-moaning types. If you don’t like something, ignore it and move on to the next thing which you might like.

One thing I’ve discovered being a Moderator here is that I’ve improved my ability to accept but dislike things I don’t agree with. Unless it’s downright libellous or rude, I’ll pass it by, even though my first reaction might be to get rid of it.

If I wanted, I could delete or hide any post which annoys me (and believe me there are such things). But that would clearly be daft, and unfair. So I’ve mastered the art of noticing-but-ignoring.

Maybe I should offer training courses.

• Upvote 5

Has'nt upset me Cliff . I just thought i'd mention the abrubtness- i think some are dismissive. We live in a democratic way - even on nottstagia. I worked on building sites when you clocked in you left your feelings at the gate!! I'm sticking to subjects i like and my mate Catfan - bulwellians!!!!

Ian, I've not noticed much abruptness in the couple of years I've been on here.

However, several of us longstanding members have a bit of banter, and the odd "in" joke crops up. Some things I find a trifle crass and stomach churning, but I get over it (eventually) LOL. No two people are exactly the same.

Stick with it matey, you'll enjoy it !!!!

• Upvote 1

Ian,alot of us have had Minor tiffs with the 'mods' and each other,then as catfan says we 'just gorronweit' Robbie even told his Mam....lol.

• Upvote 2

Yer wot !!!!!!

Yep, get yer bleddy tie off !!!!!