Pedometer challenge

At work we have signed up to a pedometer challenge where we wear one of these "stepometer" gadgets daily for a month starting May 4th to see how many steps we do each day, had a practice with mine this week and started Monday with 3104 steps although don't get out of the office much on a Monday, Tuesday managed 5614 with Wednesday achieving 8437 and yesterday Thursday managed 10679 steps, this is all at work doing my normal duties. the target is to get 10,000 steps per day

Anyone else used one of these "stepometers" or if you have one post your daily steps on this site,a bit of fun and the chance of getting a bit fitter

Rog

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Another busy day at Sunny: and very Windy Lytham St Anns. From 12oclock, we have been cycling or walking all afternoon: and I have finally used my Pedometer properly. Most days I have been forgetting

Feel like I'm missing out on the fun (?) here. Better get myself a pedometer and walk the dog more often.

Today my fellow Pedometerists, we have excelled ourselves. We have been working up to attempting our Lytham St Anns to Clevelys cycle ride all week,and today the wind was calmer so we took the plunge

Apparently not Michael, according to the instructions it says "it has a filter function to prevent incidental non step movements ie:tapping your foot,for correct step counting 6 continuous steps must be taken" sorry if you've dozed off whilst reading that, I am managing between 8000 and 9000 steps per day at work which is not too bad considering a lot of my time is in an office, the target should be 10000 steps though,so it will mean getting outside more and walking around the site

Rog

• Upvote 1

I'm up for it Rog. I have a Fitbit and generally average 6000 steps a day, so a few more to do will be a good challenge for me. I sometimes take to the treadmill to boost the steps, but don't have that with me at Sandringham, so I'll just have to do more circuits of the site. Will be walking round Besthorpe nature reserve on Sunday though.....that worked out at 3.5 miles last time I did it ( a mile is around 2-3000 steps) so that will be good practice for next week.

Cycling is good exercise though Carni, so if you can record your miles we can equate that into steps perhaps slywink

• Upvote 2

We have got a mileomiter on my husbands bike.Today we did just over 11miles ranging between 8 and 10mph. About half on uneven ground and half on Tarmac. Very enjoyable. :)

• Upvote 3

Carni,according to the "alternative activity" sheet they sent me it gives a whole host of activities with their equivalent steps, cycling comes in at 170 per minute or 10200 per hour, dont know how they work that, if you want a copy of the "alternatives" I'll try and take a picture and post it on here

Rog

• Upvote 1

DSCF4573_zpsuqrrl2o4.jpg

This is a photo copy so quality not too good but hopefully it should give some idea

Rog

• Upvote 2

I'm doing a lot of computer mouse wheel rolling. What is the equivalent number of steps for that?

• Upvote 2

One small step for man one giant leap for mankind.

not sure about mouse steps Chulla probably divide by four because they have a leg at each corner

Rog

• Upvote 1

Thankyou for the table Plantfit. I'm not quite sure I understand how it is worked out. We cycle at a very leasurely pace, so I'm not sure how that compares with a cyclist like yourself, who probably travels alot further and faster than us over an hour,

Carni,I think it's just meant as a general guide, not for the out and out athlete who goes like the clappers, I don't know how they arrive at some of the figures,for example,walking: 84 steps in a minute, you got to be going some to actually walk at that pace,

Well the challenge starts tomorrow so I will put on my pedometer/stepmeter when I get up and see how we go,supposed to be taking Mrs P to Meadowhall in the morning so not many steps achieved standing outside the shops,but then again if i walk there (50miles) should get a few in, lol

Rog

• Upvote 1

Been using a Fitbit for last 6 months or so, my wife and I now average just over 10,000 steps a day. I also cycle probably 10klms daily.

Not really hard work, just a case of keeping active and not using the car for everything.

Yes, we've both been on a fitness and diet regime, I've lost just under 20kg and wife has lost 18kg so far since last Sept.

Not really a diet but 5:2 and for us it works ! we both feel so much better for it.

• Upvote 5

Thats brilliant Banjo, keep up the good work, I should be aiming for 10000 steps a day,managed it once last week at work only,then all the end of month paperwork etc needed to be done so lost a bit of momentum but with 180 other company employees nationwide going for it it should be a bit more of an incentive.

Great about your weight loss and increased fitness levels though, hopefully I can follow your example,well done

Rog

• Upvote 1

#13 Rog, just had a spell on my treadmill, 2 mph = 84 steps per minute, so not too bad a rate. I go up to 3.5mph which is a brisk walk (for me, the next level would be running which I do not do) and that measured in at 115 steps per minute.

Managed to do 7207 steps so far today with 3000 being on the treadmill, never got to walk around Besthorpe Nature reserve due to visitors this morning and heavy rain this afternoon. Heigh ho, back to Sandringham and circuits of the site tomorrow....better do a couple of bin runs too if I've got aim higher than usual!!

Good luck to all who are up for the challenge. :situp:

• Upvote 2

Only managed 6578 steps today, walked around Meadowhall and stood outside many ladies clothes shops,(must have looked like a bit of a pervert) after we got home I cut the grass and then cooked us dinner so really a relaxed day, back to work tomorrow so will try then,

darkazana, well done on the treadmill but over 4000 steps otherwise, you going to take some beating

Rog

• Upvote 2

Today I have done 8163, that was working at it for me as I have been in the office all day, so any little errand that needed doing saw me volunteering. But my husband, who is a Nottstalgian incognito :ninja: , managed 13190!!! This is because he is out onsite all day doing groundwork and sorting out any little problems that may arise.

Your total for today Rog is what I normally try to attain, but not always successfully, so we shall see. I think you will not be doing too badly yourself :)

• Upvote 2

Already you are doing a little bit more excercise which is great, got to be good for your health for just a little bit more effort, well I'm back at work now so after this paperwork is done I shall try to get out on site although it's a bit muddy at the moment but who cares

Rog

I would like to join you with the Pedomiter Challenge if we can convert the cycling to steps?

If I have read the chart correctly (HAHA). As a very rough guide, I worked out that on a 2hour trip, taking half an hour off for feeding ducks and getting around gates we would cycle for approx 1hour and 30mins. So, 90mins cycling at 10miles an hour would be approx 8,300 steps???

Of course our speed varies a little either side of the 10mph, and the length of the time we are out varies daily with how we feel. I will try to add our estimated steps. Might have to be the exersize bike today if the rain carries on!

http://und.edu/health-wellness/workwell/documents/2015getmovingconversion.pdf

Brilliant Carni, I can see you are the one to watch,I'll be walking around the site till midnight to keep up with that score,10 mph on your bike is good, I only average 13 mph on the trike when I go out and all the land aroung here is flat and covered in tarmac,plus I have smooth road tyres so don't think i would be able to keep up with you two on a similar bike,(3748 steps at the moment and it's only 11.12am)

Rog

• Upvote 2

Our average speed is 9mph, we are only plodders really, but do get to 10/12mph occasionally on the flat. I have to be careful now not to fall off because of the Warfarin.

PS. Did I convert to steps on the chart correctly?

What is your opinion of the Chart I put on #20?

Looks about right to me carni,looks like I'm going to get the least amount of steps between you and darkazana,phew, only 5300 now and it's 14.15 already, time for another walk around the site

Rog

Today I have done about 2/3000 steps in housework and shopping. The weather has put paid to outdoor cycling for us: so I have just done 1hour on my Exercise Bike. No substitute but at least I had a go. I put Pointless on the Tele to take some of the bordom away.

I don't completely trust the little Omiter thingy, when it comes to a true reading. It was only a cheap bike but this is what it recorded in one hour. We can only manage about 10/12 miles on a real bike so I don't know what to make of the reading?

31.66 Kilometers or 19.6726119miles :ohmy: using 475 calories. Boy, was I glad when the 60min buzzer went off.

I can't find anything I understand to convert it to steps. Is it possible that one of you fellow "Stepists" could work out a rough estimate for me please. No problem if it is to awkward to work out.

• Upvote 2

Well according to Rog's chart 1 hour cycling equals 10200 steps carni, so adding your shopping and housework to it that will be about 13200 steps....beats me by a long chalk. Today I have done 8995 steps (4.07 miles) I boosted my daily steps with a walk around the site tonight. Tomorrow is another office day so it will be harder to get the steps in, I shall have to be creative!!!

• Upvote 2