Pedometer challenge

No idea or interest in how many steps today, but had a super walk along canal from Beeston to Trent Bridge. Five miles of nice weather, lovely flora and fauna, whilst happy snapping the seasonal changes. I do ache though; everywhere!.

• Upvote 3
  • Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Another busy day at Sunny: and very Windy Lytham St Anns. From 12oclock, we have been cycling or walking all afternoon: and I have finally used my Pedometer properly. Most days I have been forgetting

Feel like I'm missing out on the fun (?) here. Better get myself a pedometer and walk the dog more often.

Today my fellow Pedometerists, we have excelled ourselves. We have been working up to attempting our Lytham St Anns to Clevelys cycle ride all week,and today the wind was calmer so we took the plunge

As well as the per normal cleaning duties, did cobwebbing around the top block eaves and then sweeping up around the block. Nice tidy block now for one day, I expect the webs will all be back tomorrow!! Then a bit more to the Wildlife Haven, covered all remaining plants in upside down, unused hanging baskets in hope of protecting what's left. More about all that on the actual thread.

Total steps tonight 8790.

Day off tomorrow, so we're off to Holkham Hall again but to cycle to Wells this time, will be interested to see what the fitbit records, I may well be joining in Carnis experimentations :) Watch this space!

• Upvote 2

We have had a smashing day today, and have taken advantage of the lovely weather. This morning we were out early cycling on the Nature Trail to Wombourne and back. I have put a post on "Hows your Day", so I won't repeat the trip again on this thread. We spent the hottest part of the day, in the back garden moving plants around, and general garden tidying.

After sitting around for an hour this afternoon, we got itchy feet again so just before 4pm, we got the cycles out again and we were off! No stopping us now. Today has been my most successful in my quest for the 10,000 goal. I reached one of my highest totals, and couldn't have enjoyed it more. Needless to say, our legs are a little tired tonight.

This morning. 1hr 45mins at 7mph= 6,839. This afternoon. 1hr 15mins at 7mph= 4,886. Pedometer 2,390. Grand Total = 14,115. Feeling really good.

Well done Pedometerists. Onwards and Upwards. :)

• Upvote 3

Exercise gets you like that Carni, I think you become addicted to it. I now need to go out, not because I want to get the steps in, but because I enjoy the exercise, and it's half the battle won if you enjoy it as it is no longer a chore but a pleasure. Of course the knowledge that it is improving your health is an added bonus :) Well done on your steps. We're off out on the bikes today, but have no way of checking speed or distance so I shall just enjoy it for a bike ride knowing that I am getting the exercise in a different form.

Have a great day all pedometrists

• Upvote 2

Exercise is addictive it's a proven fact, it releases endorphins in the blood stream which are the feel good hormone, one of my daughters aged 32 started running with a friend for fun about a year ago, she was never athletic at school or ever ran in her life before. Knowing her well, we thought it was a joke !

She now runs half and full marathons and has lost 25kg in weight, she looks and feels great and it has totally changed her life.

Might add she's not a speed freak but has heaps of stamina to do the longer distances.

• Upvote 5

Not very good today again as I have to go on a two day company training program tomorrow near Coventry so have had to try to pull in two days work which means spending longer in the office,Thursday and Friday I will be on another site near Peterborough That involves looking after the general day to day quarry stuff as well as looking after on site contractors and a team of archaeologists,should be able to get a few steps there,then back to my own site for Saturday to try and catch up there but next week I am on holiday for the week so hopefully plenty of stepping to be had,my steps so far today are 8548,nowhere near to darkazana's 8790 and the star of the show, carni's 14115, keep it up pedometerists

keeeeeeep stepping

Rog

• Upvote 2

Well the bikes never came out today as for some reason rain was forecast for around 3.00pm....which never materialised either!

However after a visit to the garden centre (which is not recorded as I forgot to put on my fitbit) we decided to risk the forecast and walked to Sandringham house. We left at 1.00pm and have just got back to the site, having walked around the house, gardens, museum and church (I'll detail it more in Hows Your day) I now have 12194 steps recorded (It was reading 742 when we left) with more steps to be done as we're off to the pub later.

Rog, 8548 is very respectable and I would be more than happy if I could guarantee that every day, and I agree carni is leaving us straggling behind in her wake :)

Happy walking folks, Get those endorphins moving :)

• Upvote 1

Well here I go again. Another record breaker. I am loving this getting fit. First time I haven't felt ill since 1999. Wehheyhey. :biggrin:

We had quite an arduous trip along the Staffordshire/ Worcester Canal towpaths this morning. I have added the details of my trip on the "Hows your day" thread again. My Totals are Fab again. Here we go.

1hr 30mins at 7mph= 5,859 + 1hr 15mins at 7mph = 4,886 + Pedometer walking around the village and general daily activity. =2,620.

Total. 13,365. WOW.

The cycling is the only reason I am doing so well at the moment. My steps will drop dramatically on days were I can't cycle. That will be when my real daily challenge starts, trying to keep active at home. I agree plantfit, I will be more than happy with 8548, that is a more realistic daily amount to aim for.

Sounds like you had a very pleasant day darkazana, and you raised your step count while you were doing it. Well done everyone. Keeeeeep Stepping. :biggrin:

• Upvote 3

We made The Manifold Valley Trail today and it was great. Just about as much as we could manage, I have again added my days activities to "Hows Your Day"

Our speeds today were varying along the way, making 7/8/9mph on the outward journey and actually 12/13mph some parts of the return journey. My pedometer steps show again that I need to move more at home. But at the moment and through to when the weather stops us, I am happy with my cycling doing me good.

Heres my count again working on 7mph.

1hr 20mins at 7mph = 4,906 + 1hr 10mins at 7mph = 4,856 + 2,320 Total = 12,082. Keep Stepping Everyone :biggrin:

As I do not have a bike I cannot continue the experiments with pedometers. However, I do not think that you can trust the cycle-to-steps chart; there are so many variables to take into account. The lower the gear the more 'steps' per mile, and the size of the bikes's wheels make a difference - they are the final gearing. If it were me I would count the number of pedal pushes in a measured mile and use that as the yardstick. Yes, it would change when dropping into a lower gear and pedalling faster for less distance, but on the positive side you would be adding more steps. All that matters, as I see it, is that this is an exercise, it is the number of pedal pushes that matter, not speed and distance.

• Upvote 1

That's how we see it Chulla. I know my results are very widely come by, but I'm not bothered. The fact that I am fit enough now to be able to do these cycle rides is really all I'm interested in. If I am underestimating my results that doesn't matter, because if I know in my mind that the final result could be higher if I could work it out more accurately, that will do for me.

The main thing is that about six weeks ago, I was spending a lot of time sitting down, feeling sorry for myself, playing on my symtoms and unsure about my future. Now I am full of Optimism and raring to go.

• Upvote 5

"First time I haven't felt ill since 1999, I'm' just loving this getting fit, now doing 12-13 mph" It's comment like these that make the challenge worthwhile,I am so pleased for you carni,the effort you and the others have put into this is amazing,I sit here writing this with a tear of pride in my eyes because of having the privilege to know you guy's even if it is only on line.

Well I've been on the training course yesterday and most of today and have only managed just over 7000 steps from yesterday morning until now,

back to work tomorrow,a different site near Peterborough making sure all the contractors and archaeologists on site remain safe so it could be a good opportunity to increase the step count,

Well done you stepping hero's you should be most proud of yourselves

Keeeeeep stepping

Rog

• Upvote 2

You deserve to be proud plantfit, for this brilliant idea. You can see me getting fitter as we go along. I can't get over the change in me over the last few weeks. I think I was just beginning to get over the Op as we started the Challenge, and the two things together are working wonders.

I have had quite a lazy afternoon today, so my steps aren't as high as the last few days. We have done so much cycling lately, that I think my body was telling me to take a rest! So I have. That's my story anyway!

Today we were out on the towpaths again for about 2hrs 30mins, so I have deducted 30mins for our "Dallying" and apart from that, my Ped count is lowish, due to my lazy afternoon.

2hours at 7mph = 7,812 + Pedometer = 2,120. Total = 9,932. That is better than I expected. Don't forget everyone. Keeeeeep Stepping. :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

Carni you are an inspiration, you have got up, taken your health by the scruff off the neck and given it a good shake! It can be tough to get yourself going again after surgery, but you have taken up the challenge and proved how important exercise is for your health.

Rog as Carni says Thanks for this challenge. I was happy to reach 6000 steps a day as that was what the doctor ordered, but now I strive to make much more, even if I don't always get there, sometimes as you yourself know work gets in the way, but then I try that bit harder, like yesterday being an office day I didn't get out much, apart from watering the wildlife area, so after Mondays marathon steps I felt I had to try to get more than the 4000 odd steps. Once again I went for a walk through the woods, skirting the site. Each time I do this I follow different paths and so see different aspects of the woods. Now in places the bracken is up to my shoulders and I sometimes feel webs brush across my face. John often has to remove the livestock from my hair when I get back....I must resemble the wild woman of the woods! So yesterdays total in the end was 6821.

Today was, yes by now you will have guessed it another loo day! So plenty of activity to be had there (hmmmmm)

After lunch I spent the afternoon out on site sweeping, cobwebbing and weeding, watered the hanging baskets and of course my wildlife haven (which has a lovely big bunny burrow appear at the side of it, and guess who I saw hopping round my plants this evening!!) helped John with the bin run (well the last few bins) and then it was off to Morrisons for our weekly shop so todays total was 11355.

Keep it up folks :situp:

• Upvote 2

Today My Ped Pals, I have very little to write about as I have been rather out of action. You see, on Tuesday when we rode the Manifold Trail, I didn't tell you a little secret. I fell off my trusty Raleigh Transcend. We had a most enjoyable day, 18miles round trip and right at the last 100yards, I came a cropper. At the point where you take a sharp left turn off the roadside path, through a gate and up a sharp incline onto the last bit of the trail to the carpark.

Chris took a swing out to make the turn, but couldn't get the gear to get up the hill. So he stopped. Silly Billy Me, anticipated he would carry on going and went straight into the back of him, and hit the deck! Bikes and Chris landed on top. After he had managed to get me up, I was surprised that I was Ok. We even had a 12mile ride yesterday.

Today, when I started to move around, it became obvious that I was going nowhere fast! I have bruises, where I can't show you, and just about every muscle is aching.

All I have done is walk around the house and to the car for a ride. here goes....2,657! :ohmy: So Pedometerists.Tomorrow is another Day. Upwards and Onwards. I can't wait to Get on Mi Bike Son. :biggrin: keeeeeeep Stepping :biggrin:

• Upvote 3

Oh no Carni, what a disaster. Sooooo glad you are ok. Hopefully you will be back in the saddle again soon. In the meantime take it easy and make sure all your aches and pains have gone. Actually 2657 steps isn't bad when you are housebound, I have had days when I have done less!!!

Busy day for me today, mainly tending the wildlife haven making everything bunny proof, and working on the pond area. 10844 steps....so I can do some catching up with you while you're "resting" Carni :)

• Upvote 3

Pleased there was no major damage (to you or the bike!) when you fell off on Tuesday.

• Upvote 1

Well done darkazana, you have managed to get your step count up high with all your outdoor work. I hope you manage to stop the little scoundrels from eating your plants.

Thanks Margie and darkazana, I am aching less now, and the bruises look worse than they feel, so the rest has done me good. We have already planned our route for the morning!

The bikes alright Margie, it does get a battering from me though. :)

• Upvote 3

carnie, a rear-end shunt will be regarded as your fault when hubby comed to make an insurance claim.lol

• Upvote 2

I'm always telling Hubbs not to ride so close when I am in front. His front wheel is so close to my back wheel, it's an accident waitng to happen. He always says to me "Don't worry, it will be him that comes off, not me". It's true! I usually stay at least a cycle lengh and slightly to one side away. But, Oh Hum. Undue care and attention comes to mind. When I was learning to drive, my Dad told me to "Allways expect the unexpected" then you are prepared. kickme

• Upvote 2

Getting fitter does'nt mean you can go stunt riding carni, glad you are ok though and you managed some steps around the house too,is there no stopping this girl?

darkazana,10844 steps nearly double what you were doing before the challenge WOW impressive stuff, mine for yesterdays office bound (in the nice hot weather) was only 7734, next week we are on holiday in North Wales,plenty of walking to be had so will see what happens

Keeeeep stepping (and staying upright on your cycle carni)

Rog

• Upvote 2

Had to smile Carni, my wife did almost the exact thing last week !

She insists I go in front on the pushbikes, as she is a little nervous. So I'm pedaling merrily along the cycle path with my wife 5 or so meters behind, turned my head and asked if she wanted to stop for a coffee, yes she replies so I turned off the path onto the grass to get to the coffee shop, I turn to see if she is following, just in time to see her grind to a halt on the grass and fall sideways, then do a somersault backwards with the momentum.

Even the coffee shop lady came running out to see if she was ok, but it was more her pride that was injured than anything thank god.

When I asked her why she stopped and didn't put her feet down she said "I don't know"

Womens logic methinks.

• Upvote 3

Well a complete vault face for me today folks a measly 3829 steps, busy office day (Fridays weekend arrivals) meant that I got very few steps in though I have been on my feet all day since 9.00am until 5 minutes ago. A nice foot soak in order I think.

Back on the cleaning rounds and hopefully a bit more wildlife garden work to be done before we head home tomorrow night for some serious house packing to do. More about that on Hows Your Day. :)

At Last, Some Peace, Oh What a day!

We saw that the weather was going to turn wet this afternoon, so we got out and about early this morning. We chose one of our routes that is three parts country lanes and the rest tow paths.

Chris added a bit extra on to our usual way. Normally we would head for Featherstone and cycle up one side of the Prison, but today we went all the way round, adding quite a bit extra on. Taking the same amount of time for the journey. So the rides are definately getting easier!

I spent about an hour and half in the kitchen, when the rain came, stripping a whole carrier bag full of Mint from the Stalks to chop and bottle, plus half again of Parsley to chop and freeze, Very Laborious and gained no steps what so ever. We then went and did a bit of retail therapy, so managed to gain a few steps.

Here we go. Dallying deducted. 2hrs at 7mph = 7,812 + Ped 2,020. Total 9,832. That surprised me!

darkazana and plantfit, Nothing to worry about with your steps. If you add them up over the week, you will probably get a nice surprise. banjo48, I hope your wife escaped unhurt, I understand her logic. :biggrin: Keeeeep those feet a stepping Ped Pals.

Managed to salvage something of the day and finished up with 10922 steps,a couple of walks around the quarry sorted that out before the rain came,it did turn very humid,on my way home the rain started and by the time I got to Sleaford it was slinging it down.

carni you are amazing,never giving up,darkazana with all you have had to put up with you still find time to get the steps in and enter them on here just brilliant

Keeeeep stepping everyone

Rog