Pedometer challenge

Phew, cleaning day in the heat yesterday....though I have to admit the shower blocks were cooler than the office.

Started the day well, forgot to put fitbit on for first hour and half, and ended day in the same manner, had a shower, changed then went shopping without it so count is not entirely accurate.

Afternoon spent watering very thirsty plants and hanging baskets as it was overcast though still hot and then onto repairing bunny damage again in wildlife haven area.....really must get down to updating blog too.

final total showing on fitbit 9324 (readjusted on the website site to take into account the missing hours)

Hopefully today will be a cooler one for you Carni, but a day off is always good anyway.

Well done Rog for coping in the heat of the day, at least I could get about with just my shorts and teeshirt on, though I still have to wear protective footwear...... I probably resemble a spider in hobnail boots!!

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Another busy day at Sunny: and very Windy Lytham St Anns. From 12oclock, we have been cycling or walking all afternoon: and I have finally used my Pedometer properly. Most days I have been forgetting

Feel like I'm missing out on the fun (?) here. Better get myself a pedometer and walk the dog more often.

Today my fellow Pedometerists, we have excelled ourselves. We have been working up to attempting our Lytham St Anns to Clevelys cycle ride all week,and today the wind was calmer so we took the plunge

I have just been catching up on your posts and I have just realised that I haven't added my steps for yesterday yet.

As I read your posts, it makes me feel so sorry for any of you who are having to work in this heat. No wonder your eyelashes ached plantfit, all the gear you had to wear is enough to make you pass out. And darkazana, I know what you mean about forgetting to put the Fitbit on, It happens with me daily.

Yesterday morning the temperature had dropped enough for us to go for an early morning ride, and It was really pleasant. The bit of breeze that we generated as we peddled along the Towpaths made it very comfortable and we stuck to routes on the lanes that avoided the hills that had been a bit to much for us the days before.

1hr 45mins at 7mph = 6,839 + Ped = 2,840 =Total = 9,679. As usual my Ped result is quite low, but I know it is my weak point, so when the weather changes, I will have to make more effort to walk about. We had a great cycle ride this morning, back home for 10.30am, now just going in the car for a walk round BridgeNorth. Will report in later.

Stay Cool and Keep Safe Ped Pals.

• Upvote 1

I'm still a day behind Carni! You're doing well at keeping up the stepping results though, glad the weather has cooled a bit for you to be able to get out and about again.

Bit of a mixed bag day yesterday ending up with 5135 steps plus 1 hour 40 minutes of yoga so around 9635 total if changed to steps.

Been busy picking up cones and taking them over to the wildlife area today, steps being 5586 so far.

We are off now for the weekend and are going to Tattershall Thorpe to stay at the Bluebell until Sunday so that we can get to know the area before we move in (in 3 weeks all being well). Not sure if we will have wifi so if I don't log my steps that's why and not because I've given up or anything as remotely silly as that!!

So have a great weekend steppers, hope you have a pleasant balmy one ....or do I mean barmy??

• Upvote 2

A good step count there darkazana. Your Yoga bumps it up well, and it looks as if you are doing OK today, at 2.17pm and up to 5,586 already. Good Work.

The cycle ride this morning was one of our old favourites, we have done it many times since Hubbs got me interested in cycling in the 80s. It is the disused Train line from W-ton to Wombourne and it is one that crops up many times in my posts. The round trip is approximately twelve miles, returning along the Towpath. Had a nice few minutes feeding Swans and their 3 Cygnets. My step count is 1 and a half hrs at 7mph = 5,859 + Ped 2,810 =Total = 8,669.

We used to pass by Tattershall Castle sometimes by means of a change of route, when we had our caravan at Skegness. It is a very nice part of the country. I had another look on the Internet at the Bluebell Inn darkazana. Nice place. Enjoy your break, and we'll keep your place warm till you get back. lol

Keeeeep Stepping :)

• Upvote 2

Good amount of steps achieved from the pedometerists again, sadly I only managed 6661 yesterday,mainly office bound apart from a spell 60ft up in a cherry picker repairing a failed drive coupling on one of our conveyor systems,can't get many steps high up in the air in a 8ft by 3ft basket,

Enjoy the Blue Bell Darkazana,last time I was in there they had wi fi,if you are staying on the field at the back of the pub say Hi to Alan from me,(I think he still owns the site)he is a Nottstalgia member and good friend of Fynger's, I will be in the quarry the other side of Thorpe camp Sat morning finishing a bit of paperwork and stuff.

carni, The Tour de France starts today,will we see you on the start line showing all the riders your step count? only joking, you amaze me the amount of comitment you have to this challenge,your walking and cycling and darkazana's yoga,gardening and walking and Katyjays house cleaning,dog walking and golf,fantastic, don't see many of the men posting their count,I wonder,is it because you girls are putting them to shame?just a thought.

Anyway,keeeeep stepping you are all great

Rog

• Upvote 1

Not to worry about the steps plantfit, 6,661, that's OK. I imagine your adrenaline whilst climbing the Cherry picker burnt enough calories to take the place of steps. Rather you up there than me; just looking over the wall on the top floor of the carpark sends me dizzy.

I think the Challenge has given us all an interest, it certainly has done for me. I do forget to put my Ped on sometimes, but most of my fitness regime comes from the cycling anyway. We got out for a couple of hours early this morning, before the sun got too hot. This afternoon we were at a Toddlers Birthday Party, so I gained some extra steps making some strange shapes on the dance floor. Made the kids laugh anyway, and I enjoyed it!

Here goes. My usual 1hr 30mins cycling = 5,859 + Ped = 3,860 total = 9,719. That's close enough for my goal today. I have enjoyed feeling better recently and I think I pushed myself a bit too hard too soon, ( started to get little warnings signs inside) so we are taking the flatter routes again for a while, they nearly all end up taking between 1 and a half to 2hrs, at approx 7mph. The Cardiologist said gentle excersize, so we will stick to that.

Enjoy your break darkazana. Keeeeep Stepping everyone.

• Upvote 2

Today I have messed up big time with my Pedometer. First of all I was up an hour or so before I realised I hadn't got it on! Then I forgot to take it off for our cycle ride, only realising, when we returned home, two hours later. DOH. It all got too complicated to work out so i will add that we had about 1hr 30mins cycling and a nice walk around Bewdley this afternoon, plus the normal activities around the home.

The Pedometer was on throughout the day (Once I got my act together) and up to now it has recorded 11,066. I am not taking much notice of the recording today, because I don't usually wear it during cycling. So pedometerists, No reliable reading, but I have been quite active, most of the day. That's Cool!

Good luck everyone and pleased to see you have been able to get out on the Trike plantfit. No stopping you now. Gotta be good.

Keeeeep (up the good work) Stepping. :)

• Upvote 1

Hello Fellow Steppers, I'm back from a most unbelievable weekend break which I shall cover in hows your day later (probably tomorrow as its quite late now)

Rog, I missed your post on Friday, we had probably already left and perhaps they did have wifi at the Bluebell but the first thing we realised was that we had left the laptops in the caravan awning!! Doh! So a technology free weekend for us then!! Couldn't even use our phones as we had also left the phone chargers in the laptop case!

I don't know if Alan still owns the statics, the barmaid at the pub told us they had taken them over at Easter, a shame I hadn't seen your post as I could have asked her about him and whether he was at the pub among the locals there.

We drove past the quarry a couple of times on Friday and then this morning on our way to Woodhall Spa, I wondered if that was the one where you worked. We are planning another visit to the Bluebell in a few weeks when we have another weekend off, as we should have taken over our new house by then and will be doing some work on it before we actually move in.

And not only did we leave the laptops behind but I also forgot my fitbit, so have had a weekend of not counting my steps...aaargh a bit fat fail on my behalf, so don't feel too bad about your forgetfulness Carni!!!! But lots of walking done folks, around Coningsby and Woodhall Spa doing a recce of what will be our local shopping areas and finding out where everything is, and yesterday a lovely long walk from the Caravan Club site at Sutton On sea, down to Sandilands and along the prom towards town, though we only went halfway as the sea was so inviting we went for a paddle back up the beach before walking back to the site and driving back to the Bluebell. It was heaven. So no steps recorded but plenty done.

• Upvote 2

Glad you enjoyed yourself darkazana and i'm sure you did well, with all the walking you have done. A break from Technology is good, to free up your mind for a total break.

We managed to get out early yesterday, just incase the weather changed (7.15am) for a cycle ride. It was very quiet everywhere, even the birds had gone back to sleep. Thankfully we had taken plenty of bread as the Ducks and Moorhens were eagerly awaiting the first offerings of the day. We cycled for 1hr and 15mins, Duck feeding deducted.

At 10am we took our Daughter to Telford on a shopping spree. It is a good job Telford is all undercover, because the heavens opened for most of the remainder of the day. The shopping trip bumped yesterdays steps up quite a lot. Mind you the heavily buttered "Toasted Teacake" in M & S might have sabotaged the healthy steps slightly!

My total for 6.7.15 is Cycling = 4,883 + Ped 5,350 = Total =10,233. Keeeeep Stepping (Miducks)

• Upvote 2

A goodly total there Carni, not sabotaged by the teacake, the teacake was counteracted by the steps :biggrin:

Back to reality for me yesterday in the office with a lowly 2622 steps having to be boosted by a double circuit of the site, the first half through over my head high soggy bracken as it was just after a downpour. Total steps for the day 6182.

Cleaning day today so hopefully a bit more activity.

• Upvote 1

Steps keep mounting up from everyone,in earlier posts the step counts were between 5000 and 7000 steps per day,now they are reaching much higher than that, Darkazana 2622 steps in an office is brilliant and to make the effort to walk through soggy bracken to get the step count up is just incredible,

carni, it seems that hitting the 10000 steps per day is quite normal for you now,when this challenge started you were pleased to hit 7000 now look what you've done and hopefully you are feeling better for it,

my step counts are all over the place,one day office bound the next out on site and today I have to drive to North Lincolnshire for a meeting near Humberside airport so who knows,anyway yesterdays effort was a complete surprise to me at 13800,(must have been little steps)

Keeeeep stepping all you are all doing great and getting fitter

Rog

• Upvote 2

Brilliant total Rog, you never know what the day will bring so it's always good to have a pleasant surprise at the end of it.

Usual cleaning day for me today, followed by a bit of baking for a "guess the weight of the cake" competition at the end of July, when we do a fete in aid of the Princes Countryside Trust. The cake will be a tractor I hope, not having any of my equipment here (It's all in storage) I have got to use whatever I have to hand in the caravan. Should be interesting. Anyway fruit cake made and fortunately cooked well in a very temperamental caravan oven. Will try to remember to post a photo when it is finished in a few weeks.

After the cake a bit of work on the wildlife haven, planting out some sunflower plants next to the insect hotel, hopefully the bunnies will leave them alone, This was followed by a cup of tea and then shopping bringing my total today to 7795, so no extra soggy walks needed tonight, just a lovely laze in the bath.

Don't forget your brollies steppers :)

Well done both, I do look forward and enjoy reading your accounts of your days activities, it amazes me how you can both fit so much into a day. Cake baking in a caravan cooker darkazana, fantastic. I will look forward to seeing the finished master piece. Some high step counts there for you both. 13,800 and 7,795. Doing Good, Keeeeep up the good work..

Yesterday and today we did the same cycle route, we followed the towpath for about a third of the trip and the country lanes for the rest, we seem to end up around Featherstone Prison on most days lately, apart from the fact that we are so close to the prison, it is one of my favourites, because there is such a variety of changing scenery to take in.Here are my results for yesterday and today. You will see that they are very similar

7/7/15, 1hr 30mins cycling 5,859 and Ped, 3,500, total = 9,359

8/7/15, 1hr 30mins cycling 5,859 and Ped, 3,025, total = 8,884

Tomorrow we are trying a new route. "Hope there aren't too many surprise hills" :huh: Keeeeep those tootsies a steppin'

• Upvote 1

Another office day for me yesterday but I managed to get some gardening done too, planting out the rest of my stripy tomatoes into grow bags and thinning out my red sprouts into a bigger planter (part of a box of "funky veg seeds" that I got for Christmas). Think I must have pulled a muscle moving the planter from the shade to a sunnier spot in our compound, but hopefully that will go with yoga tonight, Anyway steps from all this activity were 4532, then did a walk around the woods (avoiding the wet bracken this time!!) bringing my final total for the day to 7977

Enjoy your new route today Carni, you are keeping a good steady pace.

Cleaning day for us today and then the afternoon off, but we have paperwork to do ( our training files for the club) so I don't expect major steps to be made.

• Upvote 1

Not sure I'd fancy red sprouts! Did they splice the sprout seeds with beetroot seeds I wonder.... With genetic engineering it was probably sprouts + red salmon! It sounds interesting though.... When I read near the end of your post about 'training files' I thought it said 'training flies'! Must go to the optician soon...

• Upvote 2

I'm intrigued to see my sprouts when they have grown MargieH. The kit also included tigerella tomatoes (the stripy ones), purple carrots, rainbow chard (which we are eating as salad and very yummy it is too) and yellow courgettes, which are coming on a treat and will probably be ready sometime next week.

Well despite being caravan and training notes bound this afternoon, we had a trip to the farm shop and garden centre (for some insect protection for the sprouts) and I have managed so far to total 4451 steps. I have yoga in an hour so when I get back I'll add the relevant steps on.

Hope everyone is having a stepping good day.

• Upvote 2

Your multi coloured produce sounds very interesting darkazana, I would love to see some pictures when they have grown. Well done with your steps so far, a good walk round the Garden Center and your Yoga will definately boost the count up for you.

We did the new route on the cycles this morning. Instead of visiting our friends via the Birmingham Old Main Line Canal Route (Going uphill on the 21 locks) we went cross country. Big Mistake! The two miles of 21 locks was replaced by two miles of Hills. We were out from 9am to 12noon and we cycled or walked for over two hours out of the three hours we were out. When we thought about it afterwards, it was obvious that there would be hills if 21 locks in two miles were needed.Lol. Anyway, we made it to our friends place. Half an Hour of nattering and we set off back.

Returning home, we did travel via the Towpath, seeing as it was down hill for part of the journey that way! Needless to say we had a very easy afternoon, so my Ped Steps are fairly low.

2hrs walking and peddling approx 7,812 plus my Ped 2,025 Total = 9,837. It was hard going on the outward journey, so I am quite pleased with the count today.

Hope you are pleased with your Steps today, fellow Pedometerists. Keeeeep up the good work. You know It's doin' you good!

That's really good going Carni, the hills will have made you work harder so maybe fewer steps but more calories burned.

I have an hour and 40 mins to add to my total last night so by the time I had got home my fitbit was reading 5103 plus 4500 for yoga so 9603 for me.

Really enjoying my yoga classes. Something I had not thought about but which was mentioned two weeks ago is that after performing a series of moves you are not out of breath but you can certainly feel your heart rate has been raised, and I have noticed at the end of the class even though I have worked hard I really do feel relaxed and calm.

Next week will be the last one until September and that will be my final session as we leave here in November. I hope I can find another class so well run near Coningsby.

• Upvote 2

Is there no stopping your two? great step counts all round,Yesterday I was up at a quarry site near Humberside airport giving some safety demonstrations to about 100 people from the quarrying industry,really enjoyed it,outside in the warm sun all day,free good breakfast of sausage and bacon rolls,endless free bottles of cold water,lunch of pulled pork,roll and as much salad and potato wedges as you could cram on the plate very nice,steps for the day was a megre 7521 but I was confined to a small demonstration area so mustn't complain,not a good day today as been to mothers funeral,not seen her for many years but did pay my respects,back to work tomorrow just for the morning,grass cutting in the afternoon and with a bit of luck get the trike out.

Keeeeep stepping all you are doing just great

Rog

Not a bad day yesterday Rog, good free food is always a bonus, and I don't call 7521 steps meagre.....now my step count for today,3142...that's meagre. An Office day and reading through the corporate risk assessments (which have to be signed off each year as having been read) what more could a girl want on a hot sunny day!! Too tired to go for a walk tonight, though it could also be something to do with the pimms that the warden produced at afternoon tea time!

Sorry to hear about the loss of your mother Rog, despite not having seen them for many years it is sad to lose a parent, they are after all a little part of yourself.

8414 today after a morning at work catching up with emails etc,grass cutting this afternoon and a bit of strimming in the field at the back of my garden only about 12ft out and full length of garden about 60ft,cleaned the trike ready for a session tomorrow and watched the Tour de France on the telly,a right lazy day,

carni,hill climbing,possibly King of the Mountains,you'll be wearing a polka dot jersey in no time (check out the tour jersey colours) well done,I used to love hill climbing on my bike in Derbyshire,

Darkazana,3142 for looking through risk assesments is not to be sniffed at,

Keeeep stepping everyone you are doing just great

Rog

Hi Ped Pals, Just a quick report in. I have been a bit off colour yesterday and today. Awful ear ache and head noises have put paid to my energy levels, but before I gave in and got all mardy yesterday, we managed an hour cycling and then a lazy afternoon to follow. You can tell i'm not feeling good because I didn't want to go on my cycle today, and that is my favourite part of the day.

This morning we had a car ride and a walk round Ludlow, and I have settled down for the evening now, as you will see, yesterday and today, I am not in tiptop condition.

10.7.15 1hr cycling = 3,906 + Ped 2,605, Total = 6,511

11.7.15 No cycling. Pedometer = 5,220

Keeeeep Stepping and I'll be back on track as soon as possible.

carni. If you want to increase you Ped total, then do what the dagos do to get their donkeys moving. They hang a carrot on a stick in front of the animal and it is forever trying to reach it by moving forward. In your case a cream bun ahead of the handlebars would do the trick.

• Upvote 1

#394 plantfit.I am sorry I have only scanned the posts over the last day or so, due to not feeling to good. This morning I have read them properly and I just want to send my condolences to you on the death of your Mother.