http://www.lentontimes.co.uk/images/gallery/barrack_lane/barrack_lane_listener_21.htm, i used to live on Barrack Lane, in the Park off Derby Rd. Never realised an old army barracks was situated on the left side halfway up the lane, it would have been just opposite of my bedsit, i am reading a book, at the moment called The Road to Waterloo, by Jacqueline Elliot. Explains about marching from Lutterworth to the barracks, wonder if anyone on site knows about this.

Yes, Barrack Lane is named after the former barracks which held troops to keep control of the unruly Nottingham rabble.

This shows the place on Barrack Lane in 1830s, before any of The Park had been developed. The Barracks were disbanded by around 1860s.

barracks.jpg

The only photo I've ever seen is this which shows a surviving building in the 1920s.

barracks1.jpg

This thread reminded me of about 8 yrs ago when we had a Security business,we were hired to look after some former Army Officer residence in The Park,after it had been converted into luxury apartments,i think it was on either South or Park rd,so it looks as if the 'Park' had quite a History with the Military.

i wonder, living in Eastwood, near to giltbrook, and interested in Pentrich, also dad coming from Carrington, and knowing about the revolutionaries marching from Pentrich to Carrington to damage the machines, also the Dragoons stopping them at giltbrook, i wonder if they came from these barracks, Dragoons were stationed there, adding another link from Pentrich, Eastwood, (The Sun), Giltbrook, Carrington, The Park Nottingham together, if you get me.

terence12, #4, i know its written funnily but i get excited about this period of history, sort of makes me all giddy, silly boy

#4.

I did some family history research for a friend of mine and he was related to the Lambley Brandreths. When I met up with one of them and was shown their family history they had Jermeriah Brandreth as an ancestor. Unfortunately my research proved there was no link at all but I never did tell them.

• Upvote 1

always found it fascinating how main roads became main roads i mean mostly they derived from old dusty tracks like Canning Circus, Derby Rd, Alfreton Road & Ilkeston Rd. were just said tracks leading to what is now Canning Circus but years ago the area in front of the alms houses was were they buried suicide victims. so when driving over Canning Circus please think of the poor souls, often when in different towns i try to imagine what the roads would have looked like and been used for