Trowell Junction in Colour, July 1966

I've been digging out some of my old colour slides as you know, quite frankly, given the lack of interest and comments given to my photo's of Wilford Power Station and in particular Stanton Ironworks (not Trowell Moor Colliery again!!), I wasn't going to bother, but I found some of my early colour slides last night and thought that some of you might like to see them.

Here's a taster, it's too sunny an afternoon to sit indoors fiddling about on a computer.

July 1966, the Bradford to Skegness summer Saturday special and the last timetabled steam hauled passenger train into Nottingham Midland:-

img054.jpg

I took this with my brothers Hanimex 35mm camera on Agfa colour slide film, it was a very hot day and as you can see, the driver was opening up for the climb up to Wollaton Colliery. This caused a burst of cinders to blast out the chimney, one of which landed on my head and set my hair on fire!! The loco is Jubilee 45562 Alberta, it had lost it's cast nameplate but the Leeds Holbeck shed staff had carefully painted the name on the backing plate. You'll note the yellow stripe on the cab denoting that the loco was banned from travelling 'under the wires' south of Crewe. For the rolling stock enthusiasts, the second carriage is an LNER Thompson open second, these were produced from 1947 into BR days and were constructed with steel panels rather than teak, the LNER examples were painted in a mock teak paint finish so that they matched in with the Gresley stock.

Interesting to see the station buildings and a glimpse of the platform at Trowell Station, I believe it was still open at the time.

I don't think you were at Trowell with me that day Bilbraborn, I have a feeling that I was with Barry Withey for some reason, I may be wrong though. A few weeks later Bilbraborn, John Smith and I caught the train up to Sheffield so that we could travel back to Nottingham Midland by steam for the last time. The 'Skeggy Special' was notorious for being late, however I recall that Sheffield Midland's timetable gave no posting of the platform number it was due to arrive on, the platform staff had no idea either, nor of it's timing that day. Eventually we missed it, I don't know how as we kept wandering the station trying to find the damn thing, how do you hide a steam train in even a large busy station like Sheffield. We travelled back 'Peak' hauled in the end, we couldn't go the Saturday after as it was the finale at Nottingham Vic, but that was another story and another colour picture.

• Upvote 10

Keep em coming Pete,I know you have loads of them so get em on here mate

Rog

You always were enthusiastic Rog, as an aircraft keen type how about my several hundred colour slides of the making of the 'Memphis Belle', or stumbling across and walking round the just arrived silver B-17 (to become 'Sally B') parked at the side of the road at a disused airfield called Duxford back in the 70's, or an SR-71 Blackbird doing a high speed, low level fuel dump and burn more or less over the top of my head at Mildenhall, it'll take forever to upload that lot!!

I have more of Trowell Junction in colour, photo's of a very unique and special event taken in the early 70's and of another incident that happened there a few years ago. I'll put them up sometime if anyone is interested.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Oh no,what you done Rog,.............only joking 'Firbeck'..........keep em coming mate some great pictures.

• Upvote 1

"Alberta" was also a regular on the Summer Saturday Bradford to Poole, after it had been diverted away from Victoria. I recall a similar Saturday morning trip to travel behind it from Penistone to Nottingham. For many years I had a cassette recording of it coming up the gradient out of Sheffield with that unforgettable six-beats-to-the-bar exhaust rhythm that you could recognise as a Jubilee without even looking up. It seems criminal how casually we regarded it until it was about to disappear for ever.

Firbeck: great to see a grand photograph of Alberta!! Wish my old Dad could see that one- enjoyed your last pictures but am under qualified to comment on them. But I'll say thanks and did remember your posts about "spoil" dumped from another place. Keep sending them mate.

Pete! There is one part of me that has never changed in 50 years. I am always up for any photos that you (or anyone else) posts of steam around Notts in the 60s. Keep'em coming.

Weren't a couple of posts deleted, why was that, I was going to respond but didn't have time, now they've gone, but I have the gist of it, the response to Trowell 2 sums it up really.

• 3 years later...