You mustn't laugh!

They can keep a low profile for hours, Lizzie. Gotta watch out if they do lock on because if you just pull the suckers off the head can stay in your skin. They are also known to carry Lyme disease. Have to watch out for them on the dog too. I have had several over the years here. So far so good as far as I know. I read that you can role them between your fingers and it makes them let go. Worked for one I found on Jake.

We've got Dengue fever here too, and Ross River virus, all spread by mozzies. One of my grandaughters had RR recently, its like a flu with swollen glands, she live just North of Perth ! can take up to 2 years to clear from the body.

Ticks are horrible nasty things, I hate them more than anything. My youngest had one on her neck, my wife thought it was a mole so stuck a band aid (elastoplast) on it, after a few days she said to me "please have a look at that mole on Lara's neck" I of course forgot till later at shower time, I could not believe it, it was huge and well embedded, could not get it off so we had a trip to the docs, where they anesthetized the area and dug it out.

You can buy a tick remover tool from Boots for a few pence. I usually take one on hols with me.

Try a piece of kitchen towel with dishwashing detergent held on the tick for several minutes, the tick will release itself, then you can crush the bugger!!

Ticks carry many nasty diseases plus the mouth is also their anus, so they inject toxins as well as the diseases.

I might point out, Lyme is also spread by ALL biting insects, I know first hand!! I had/have it, I think mine came from mosquitos when we lived in California. I say had/have as it's not known if people are ever cured, as the bacteria that causes it has a nasty habit of laying dormant for months/years in deep body tissue.

The is NO medical cure for Lyme!!!! If caught very early on, sometimes antibiotics work. I hit on something a Nevada Doctor posted, he studied the disease and became an expert. His patients told him about a herb that seemed to work on the, it's called "Catsclaw".

I tried it and I seem to have rid myself of this rather nasty disease. I'm still taking Catsclaw every day, just in case, and I haven't had any symptoms now for several years.

Lyme is a killer!!! 24/7 chronic pain in every major joint in the body, I've never known pain like that and never want it again. It causes anorexia, wasting away of the muscle tissue, I had to learn to walk again.

Take it from me, it's one disease you NEVER want to get.

There's a BBC interview with a young Nottingham girl on Youtube who has Lyme, it blinded her and crippled her.

Ouch that's nasty. I'd heard about Lyme but never realized it could be so devastating.

You tend to wonder, are we getting new diseases we never had before, or did folks just die a couple of hundred years ago and nobody knew why? As one old obituary said, "He died."

Lymes been known for centuries Dave, Native Americans have known about it well before white man arrived on these shores.

It was very rare in humans pre the 1960's, so the increase in cases seems to coincide with the push to reduce salt in our diets.

Now there is evidence that too low salt diets increase the risk of getting a disease or worse, heart problems.

One "cure" for Lyme uses a salt diet, did help me, but boy does it knock you about!!

One of the symptoms of Lyme is extremely high BP, so a lot of extra salt really isn't harmful, just in case someone says it raises BP..Mine went up to dangerous levels pre the "salt cure" Try 200/120!!

My body weight went from 180lbs down to well below 100lbs all in less than 2 weeks!!

All in all, with a relapse, it cost me two years of my life of not being able to do anything.

I was so weak, I could not pull the ringpull on cans! Trying to use a knife and fork was a juggling exercise where both would fly off in oppostie directions.

Having to have the wife dress me before leaving for her office... And I think I was lucky at side of some of those other patients.

At least I came out of it with my sight, I can walk and have recovered my muscle tissue, BP within accepted levels for my age, and hopefully "cured" thanks to a South American herb.

Lyme disease. Whatever you do you must never, never, never pick up a rat - dead or alive - by its tail. A friend of mine told me of someone he knew who killed a rat on a boat, picked it up by the tail and threw it overboard. He was dead twenty-four hours later.

Apparently, it comes from the urine on the tail. Use gloves or some other type of guard.

Well that's the only way I pick dead rats up....LOL

I once had a tick on my Charlie........ No silly, I meant my giant Turkish Van cat. I couldn't remove it so it entailed another trip to the vets !

He squealed like a banshee!!!!!