Police don't bother with burglaries

I recently wrote a letter to the Home Secretary expressing my disgust at Sara Thornton - the newly appointed head of the National Police Chiefs' Council who appeared on TV last week to say that the police would no longer be attending burglaries.

Yes, you read correctly!

She said that budget cuts had made it necessary to prioritise and anyway - there are a lot less burglaries than there used to be.

What an utter disgrace.

This woman is on a salary of a quarter million pounds a year, and she thinks that she can change the law to suit her budgets.

Burglars must be delighted.

Ms Thornton is also part of the 'decriminilise cannibis' brigade. Because 'cracking down on dope-heads has never been a top priority'. A sentiment echoed by another top police officer: Durham Police Commissioner Ron Hogg.

Dope sellers must be delighted.

Today I read that Leicestershire police have ignored attempted burglaries at odd-numbered houses as part of an experiment to save money. They said that the pilot scheme had had no adverse effect on public satisfaction (!)

What a useless bunch of highly paid tossers. What do they think their job is ?

They are supposed to be public servants - protecting the public who pay them.

Not CEO's of some national company.

I have always supported the police but I am unsuprised to see how little respect people now have for them. They don't want to do anything.

This is just beyond the pale.

I've read hear on Nottstalgia about people having to do their own investigations on things like motor vehice theft and damage because the police wouldn't spend their valuable time on it.

They've got the nerve to say that public satisfaction is high.

How do they know?

People have stopped reporting things because they know they won't get anywhere, and even when they do the police pass the details on to market research companies like Opinion Research - who then bug you relentlessly and disseminate the details, that you have trusted the police with, to any other company who wants to waste your time on the phone.

What is happening? There will probably be a rise in insurance premiums if you live in an odd numbered property!

Ms Thornton has obviously never suffered the effects of a burglary, not only the loss of treasured possessions which are irreplaceable but the invasion of privacy. And often for the price of a fix.

If there was a crackdown - excuse the pun - on dope sellers so there were no drugs available then there would be less theft. I'm sure I am not the only one to experience first hand the devastating effects of drugs on a family, watching a sweet child grow up into a sneaking thief to pay for their habit.

Rural areas over here, stateside, have always had to take care of themselves. Burglaries are pretty rare, I think burglers realize it could end up with them being shot, could well be the reason we don't see many.

A 911 call for help at night usually could take 2 or more hours for a Deputy to arrive, or as little as 30 minutes.... A long time, but we only have one Elected Sheriff and about four Deputies to cover a county the size of Notts.

They are backed up by police from whatever town is near, that is if the town is large enough for a police department, that would be about four towns...LOL

Annie, how do you crack down on drugs??? I know of many police officers want that answer. Drugs are an impossible problem to cope with.

Unfortunately here if you take a gun to a burglar to try and protect your home and family you are the one to be taken to court and sent to prison, like the 88year old who was given a two year sentence recently :(

Legal Highs don't help either - these are only not illegal because the police can't find out what they contain, everytime they try to analyse monkey dust or whatever the latest choice is the compound changes.

I work with women offenders who are mostly drug users. Prison has minimal effect as the stuff is as easy to get inside as out. Drug taking is neither big nor clever, but it's the pushers who are the evil b'ds and I would lock them in a room full of mothers who have lost their kids to the habit.

• Upvote 2

Firstly I think it would be fair to say that the police are being starved of resources so really do have to prioritise. Far too much of those limited resources have to be devoted to late night city centre work which reduces the man hours available for other policing. Secondly the time it takes to process each arrest has increased dramatically over the years which again reduces hours available for what we think the police should be doing. I wonder how effective visiting burgled homes is too. If there's almost never any evidence that could lead to an arrest then maybe it actually is a waste of time if all they can do is commiserate.

What she said can be found here. It's hard to disagree with her points considering the reduction in manpower.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33676308

"We need to move from reacting to some of those traditional crimes to think about focusing on threat and harm and risk and protecting the public.

"If we're really serious about putting a lot of effort into protecting children, for example, it might mean if you've had a burglary, for example, and the burglar has fled, we won't get there as quickly as we have in the past.

"Of course, we will still want to gather evidence, but we might do it in different ways."

Try as I might not get tangled up in your 'counter arguments' DJ, I wonder if you've ever been burgled ?

I have.

It makes you feel violated and vulnerable.

Now were being told that the police probably won't bother to come.

You're happy with that are you ?

I find it totally unacceptable.

• Upvote 2

I think it will depend on who you are & where you live.

"IF" you live in Wollaton & get burgled an officer is on the way if you live in Radford or the Medders don't hold your breath ;)

• Upvote 3

Annie, over here trespass is a criminal act, unlike the UK where it's a civil Act, so the moment a person comes on someones property they are committing criminal tresspass.

We also have the "castle doctrine" laws, that means a property owner IF, he/she thinks they, their family of property are in danger, they can use deadly force. On the intruders side, it's extremely difficult for them to prove they weren't a danger to the property owner in a court of law, more so if they died of lead poisoning...LOL

There was a case in Sacramento where an elderly lady in her late 80's was burglarised, he didn't stop there, he raped the old lady.

She said it was NEVER going to happen again, she purchased a handgun, all legal, took shooting lessons, and believe it or not, a short time later she was burgled again, but she had her gun, the feller made a dash for the window, was half way out and she shot him dead..

Now the interesting bit, the DA filed charges of murder against her, as the feller was escaping!! He was ID'd as the one who had raped her a few weeks previous.

Backfired big time on the DA, his phone was ringing none stop with people giving him an earful, letters by the thousands. He dropped all charges on the grounds he knew he couldn't find a jury who would convict the old lady.

I suppose that depends on where you live Bubblewrap....LOL

#10 yes I've been burgled. the police came round, gave me a referecne number and told me not to disturb anything until SOC had visited. 24 hours later I gave up waiting. My point is that if police resources are going to be even more limited then there are jobs they won't be able to do. My guess is that visiting homes that have been burgled has such low results that not visiting won't make as much difference to the detetction rate as spending time on other crimes. Imagine you've been raped and the police are too busy commiserating with the victims of burglary to attend. With unlimited resources every crime could be investigated but with the movement towards even lower numbers of police then the trend will be towards 'not attending' more and more crimes where insurance might cover the loss.The only answer is to spend more money on policing and I doubt that's going to happen any time soon.

#12 get over it. I mix with travellers regularly and am one of the few DJ's who are happy to play at traveller events. The onions (not sets) werealways stolen by people who crossed the boundary with the showman site. Draw whatever conclusions you want, I know what conclusions we drew. Not all showmen are honest, upstanding citizens, just as with every other segment of society.

It might be better appreciated by the public if the police gave the same "prioritising" explanation to all of those trendies who want them to spend their time on so-called hate crimes - which usually means intimidating folk who have expressed politically incorrect but perfectly lawful opinions with a visit from the constabulary.

• Upvote 3

Reading from the media lately that speed camera accuracy has greatly improved, so, many police forces will prosecute motorists for +1 mph over the limit. Not the present 10% +2 mph.

I see a nice little earner here for someone ! You can bet that resources will be found to enforce the letter of the law.

I wonder if more clerical staff were employed to complete the mountains of paperwork I assume is involved in each crime then the police could do their job having more resource to do detective work?