My Dad always referred to a large sandwich as a Dagwood, Then after many years I found it was named after a cartoon character Dagwood Bumstead; he apparently made these enormous sandwiches. Does anyone else refer to a sandwich as a 'Dagwood'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dagwood_sandwich

I used to see the cartoons in the 'funny papers' Dad used to bring home from his American servicemen friends.Another character was a guy called Wimpey who's favourite saying was "I shall gladly repay you next tuesday"...I'm pretty sure I've met him once or twice in real life.

Other cartoon characters I remember were Lil' Abner,Popeye and Dick Tracey.....the latter with a wrist watch that in those days would have been miraculous, but today 80 years on in a world of mobile phones wouldn't raise an eyebrow.

1b_zpshwddhhh0.jpg

• Upvote 1

Called doorsteps in our family. Each Friday my dad, being a Catholic, would have a fish sandwich for his dinner (lunch). Two great big slices of hand-cut bread and a battered fish from the chippy.

• Upvote 3