computers/playstations.....who needed them when we had all that to play on....tunnels,dens,newting,fishing on the brickyards,riding the brickyard tubs(getting chased by brickyard messters)....and in winter when the brickyard ponds had frozen there was ice skating in owd pit boots stuffed with newspaper....lol........thinking about it we used to do a right at the juction behind B&Q and head towards Mapperley tunnel which came out at gedling pit....Now them pitmen could Bloody RUN!!!!!! Some good chase`s off there, especially if we were caught riding the rope incline up to the coalyards on mapperley top......

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

yeh that little branch line off to mapperley brickyard is in woodthorpe park and if you go up there and kick around in the undergrowth you`ll find the sleepers still in place after all these years

Not sure if this will link to the actual map, you may have to scroll around to find what you want, but the map does show the lines - with both the Sherwood and Daybrook stations:

http://www.npemap.org.uk/tiles/map.html#456,343,1

Thanks for that Eric ( I have just spent about 2 hours following all the old railways around including 2 separate routes to Melton Mowbray , facinating)

Thanks for your input too Dick , for all I have been using 'picture the past' for ages I never thought to look on there !! and with your description aswell I could just as well be back in 1940 .....LOL

I rode on the Suburban Railway just the once...a Railway Correspondence & Travel Society Sunday Special, a couple of years before the closure.

A southern exit from the Vic', left turn at Weekday Cross then up the Suburban Railway and beyond to Basford North - where a run-around and reversal took place - up the steeply inclined Basford North/Bulwell Common spur [adjacent to Saxondale Drive & Park Lane] and then a run on the GC main line, past New Basford & Carrington, to a northern entry at the Vic'.

This manoevre was neccessary due to the tight loading gauge in the single-bore Arnold Road tunnel (better known as the 'rat-hole') which led to the main line at Bagthorpe Junction...

Abiding memories were the severe speed restrictions through several tunnels, even then; and the incessant heavy rain throughout the whole journey!

Cheers

Robt P.

Just found another line with Carrington station on it. Two separate lines serving the same area ? ,maybe Dr Beaching wasn't all wrong !! Although there are none now.

Carrington station was located at the Gregory Boulevard/Mansfield Road roundabout - the boarded-up entrance still visible. It was the first station north of the Vic' on the GC main line, and was tightly situated between two tunnels.

Can't think of another...

Cheers

Robt P.

The one I found is on Haydn Road (It could be New Basford ,if I look a bit closer)

Wow Rob, you actually rode on NSR. I wish some film footage would turn up of it in action. I think they ran a special on the line in the 50's. You'd think someone would have shot some 8mm then.

I'm too young to remember it, although we did used to play in the rail cutting on the mapperley branch before they filled it in loads. Used to be a lot bigger even though it was backfilled. Used to be a nature reserve.

All the stuff I know about it comes from books I've read.

there's a good book by Ashley Durose. Lost railways of Nottinghamshire by Geofrey Kingscott is a good one too.

Yes...it is New Basford, next station up from Carrington - at the north end of Sherwood Rise Tunnel.

Cheers

Robt P.

there's some You tube footage of New Basford station. Colour too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uaKAL2iQCw...feature=related

Starts with a train passing over the rail bridge over Haydn Road. then You get to see Sherwood Rise Tunnel. I visited the cutting a few months back. It's filled in but you can just see the top arc of the tunnel still

Excellent - many thanks for that.

By that time, of course, the Midland Region had been absorbed into the Eastern, hence many of their loco's (Patriot's, Scot's, Jubilee's, Black 5's, 8F's) put in appearances.

Cheers

Robt P.

Great Vid, but thats not how I remember it as a kid?

Early-mid 60's if you travelled down mansfield road with The Forest on the left, across gregory blvd island ahead was a gate.

Over the gate was a tunnel opening and short length of track, trains ran under the island from Mansfield road direction, and back into another tunnel that took it under hucknall road or sherwood rise? So the opening was very short.

I have vague memories I may have seen a steamer there?

Great Vid, but thats not how I remember it as a kid?

Early-mid 60's if you travelled down mansfield road with The Forest on the left, across gregory blvd island ahead was a gate.

Over the gate was a tunnel opening and short length of track, trains ran under the island from Mansfield road direction, and back into another tunnel that took it under hucknall road or sherwood rise? So the opening was very short.

I have vague memories I may have seen a steamer there?

You're talking about Carrington right? The video is of Basford, the next station North.

there's some You tube footage of New Basford station. Colour too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uaKAL2iQCw...feature=related

Starts with a train passing over the rail bridge over Haydn Road. then You get to see Sherwood Rise Tunnel. I visited the cutting a few months back. It's filled in but you can just see the top arc of the tunnel still

That's a fascinating clip. Spent many hours as a kid watching the trains go over that bridge on Haydn Road - we used to get chased off the platform by the station master who obviously didn't want children littering the place.

Great film that (I have just ordered a copy Geofrey Kingscott book too) I hadn't realised I was into trains in such a big way, although it may not be the trains themselves that has got me hooked more the local history bit

Ian,

Perhaps one of the most interesting books is 'British Railways Past & Present' Vol 23 Notts & Derbys..

Up to 300 'then and now' pictures, with detailed caption, of current and long defunct lines...

ISBN 1 8595 051 1 Past & Present Publishing Ltd - should be available on Amazon/eBay for reasonable price.

Cheers

Robt P.

Olez: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nottinghamshire-De...202&sr=1-40

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_b/026-...p;x=13&y=19

I was clearing out the shed yesterday, and found an old map, Date unknown.

I have copied the whole Nottingham Rail network, and will post them here soon

IMG_5282.jpg

Excellent Mick...well done!

I'll study them on my return, as I'm off to Thailand in a couple of hours...back by Bonfire Night, hopefully!

Cheers

Robt P.

Ian,

Perhaps one of the most interesting books is 'British Railways Past & Present' Vol 23 Notts & Derbys..

Up to 300 'then and now' pictures, with detailed caption, of current and long defunct lines...

ISBN 1 8595 051 1 Past & Present Publishing Ltd - should be available on Amazon/eBay for reasonable price.

Cheers

Robt P.

Olez: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nottinghamshire-De...202&sr=1-40

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_b/026-...p;x=13&y=19

Yeh that's a good one. I looked through it in WHSmith once. It was 20 quid though, a lot cheaper on Amazon.

You'll always pay through the nose at WH Smug...

The online buying revolution has simply confirmed how they have been ripping folks off for decades.

Boots the Chemists, likewise.

Cheers

Robt P.

Mick - my parents had that exact same map. I know we still had it in Long Eaton and often referred to it - but my guess is that it is early 50's vintage! Very cool, thank you!

Old thread, but Mapperley Tunnel is still open at one end. Near the gedling pit.

180px-Mapperley_Tunnel_Eastern_Portal.jpg

It's on the old Great Northern Back line , goes( or used to go) past gedling pit, then through the tunnel, then through to arnold hill pk as mentioned above, over mansfield rd to Daybrook Station then onwards to Derby via the Bennerley Viaduct that still stands unused.

This is a fantastic find for me. Thanks for posting it. I have a weird fascination with tunnels especially this one as it's local. Working for the railway for the last 15 years I've gone through a fair few. I don't like the dark and they give me the creeps and the hole/stacks make me shiver as well. There's one on the Manton line that has lime scale in it!!!)

I was only just looking on Google maps, Following the train lines 'till they get to a tunnel just to see what's on top of them. ( i know I'm sad. you don't need to tell me!!!) But a lot of the time you can see the scaring in the landscape from an old railway on an ariel map.

Anyway back on subject - I would love to have a walk up to the mapperley tunnel as it's fascinated me for a long time now but it would just scare me.