The total and utterly without doubt the best recipe for batter. Ever. A quest.

Now there are few joys in the world which compare to a decent fritter. Occasionally, and with no concern to my cardiac health, will deep fry a sausage in batter. Onion rings are pretty decent too, but, and I cannot stress this enough, not frozen and in breadcrumbs. It has to be a thick onion with lots of crispy batter and not soggy.

I have dabbled with tempura batter, then back to self-raising flour with salt and water, sometimes plain flour with soda water and beer, but always I tend to fail in the ultimate quest for the ultimate batter.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is our quest, for the ultimate frying batter.

Recipes please.

I can tell you how to make gluten free batter if that helps.

Here's the science bit

Gluten develops when two wheat proteins in flour, glutenin and gliadin, are mixed with water. Because parts of these proteins do not like to interact with water, the proteins begin to stick to each other much in the same way oil droplets come together when suspended in water. As a flour-water dough is mixed, the glutenin and gliadin molecules interact to form an extensive elastic network

So you make your batter/pastry/pasta/bread with vodka instead of water. Just be sure to use a non-wheat based vodka.

• Upvote 1

Try making batter with Kamut flour. You may have to search for it. I make pizza with it and its so light. Good luck

• Upvote 1

Half ordinary flour, half corn flour, good pinch of salt and black pepper mix together with fresh soda water or beer, to the consistency of thick pouring cream !

Refrigerate till required give a quick whisk and voila simple, we use heaps to do my fresh caught calamari or whatever takes your fancy.

• Upvote 1