Hi,

I'm a newbie from Australia, but have a lot of interest in Nottingham and many of the places nearby.

I grew up hearing all about them and when I first visited Nottingham in 1970, with my parents, I soaked up all the history I could! ( Weird child I was).

My maternal grandmother wrote her memoires of Nottingham and of Chilwell, at my sister's request. Our Gran visited us in the early 1960s and my oldest sister wanted to know more about where we came from and where she and my older brother were born. Mum and dad had 7 children but only 2 were born in the UK. I have been over to visit many times and always feel at home there.

Cheers, Nones

• Upvote 1

Welcome to the forum, Nones. I'm sure you'll find plenty to interest you on here

• Upvote 1

My Mother-in-law didn't like Oz, I asked why? She said "the sun goes across the sky the wrong way, I could never get used to it!" Hmm not sure that's a valid reason to dislike somewhere, lol..

• Upvote 1

Looked like it rose and set the right way to me Steve, each morning sunrise was in the east and sunset in the west. Water rotates the opposite way going down the drain though! Everyone drives on the left.

Mind, the flies are a pain, up your nose, in your ears and they try to get in your eyes and mouth, plus everything seems to bite and most are venomous.

Beyond that I loved my time there, worked with a great bunch of lads, had many good friends, miss them all.

• Upvote 1

We in the UK are looking south to see the sun appear to move from left to right across the sky (east is on our left)

In Australia you look north to see the sun moving across the sky from right to left (east is on your right)

Yes I know it isn't the sun that's moving!! But that's how it appears to us...

Mid summer where I live sun is way over to the north at mid day, and north east rising, north west setting, most of that is latitude Margie.

I'll add to that, mid day on the longest day, the sun is north of overhead , if that makes sense.

As Margie H says she's was used to the sun going left to right here where as it went right to left in Oz, or the wrong way according to MIL. It was almost overhead when I was in South Florida..

• Upvote 1

Well I suppose it depends which way you're pointing Steve, north or south. LOL

Sun's been blazing here all day, 77F in old money too.

Nice and comfy in a pair of shorts and tee shirt.........DUCK!!! Incoming!!

We've got a lot of yellowish moss on our lawn, too - some birds are pulling it up for their nests