Ok, Harambe shouldn't have to be killed. The zoo had no choice. They could not dart him because in the time it took the

tranquiliser to work that little boy could well be dead.

She may be a rubbish Mum or a good Mum who took her eye off the ball for a few seconds - I DON'T KNOW.

He may be a naughty, unruly child or an adventurous, curious four year old - I DON'T KNOW.

What I DO KNOW is that no way on earth should that child have been able to climb into a Gorilla enclosure.

It is the Zoo's responsibility to ensure that it is impossible for ANY visitor to gain access to ANY animal enclosure. FACT !!!

• Upvote 6

Zoos have this mentality of wanting a natural look without bars spoiling the view...all very well but it just isn't safe.A simple mesh barrier could have saved the life of a boy who died after falling into the African Wild Dogs enclosure at a zoo a while back.Kids will climb and don't see the dangers...come to that neither do some adults.

Someone somewhere decided whether or not this area was safe for a public audience...I'd like to know who.....Health & Safety, who we often treat as a joke (This isn't about playing conkers)...or do the zoos decide for themselves?

If this was a school playground next to a motorway there would be a kid proof fence around the perimeter.Zoo exhibits should be treated as seriously.

• Upvote 4

From some witnesses, the Mother was not supervising her brat, it appears it took the kid a fair while to get under the fence, which had been checked and passed a few weeks early by federal authorities.

That's the problem over here these days, kids running around screaming while the Mother is on the phone yacking away.

From what I gather she looks like she might end up with charges of child neglect being filed against her.

The Ape was born in Texas Mick, so don't think he'd have survived being set loose in the wild.

• Upvote 1

Never been a fan of any zoo ! we should do more to protect their natural environment. Wild animals should be free.

As for the mother, enough said ! we see far too much of these "new age" parents who , for one reason or another, have no control over their brats whatsoever.

The whole debacle is disgusting.

• Upvote 1

banjo48, I totally agree with your comment, 'Never been a fan of any zoo ! we should do more to protect their natural environment. Wild animals should be free.'

The problem is that there's less and less space for wild animals on Earth as their habitat is bulldozed over. The Human Race think they're doing the animals a favour by sticking them in a zoo. I could cry when I see reports of the cruelty that's inflicted on animals in some of these places. I put this photo on a different thread a day or so ago but I think it's relevant to this thread.

Bear_zpsojrhcz3i.jpg

• Upvote 2

I agree Michael. If you want to see bears, get off to Canada or Alaska.

If you want to see gorillas, big cats, elephants, hippos, et al, then get off to Africa.

If you can't afford it, then tough s**t. Watch wildlife programmes. Harsh, I know, but who are we as humans to decide where animals should live in captivity. Endangered species...... Well they wouldn't be if we didn't expand solely in search of a quick buck. (Pun not intended).

• Upvote 4